Time of year to start a project...

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by Ken M., Dec 24, 2017.

1. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

...in Vancouver?
    I am a newbie to hardwood flooring installation, with otherwise reasonable related practical experience, and am absorbing everything I can get my hands on, and one thing I've noticed about hardwood flooring is:
    -there seems to be a LOT of contention on almost every aspect of the craft! Which is good, I suppose because it ought to bring out the best solutions with logic, reason and best of all, PROOF.

One thing I am hoping there may be a significant concensus on is: even after a month of acclimitization, is winter a bad time to begin and, (hopefully), complete a floating engineered hardwood floor in Vancouver, BC? Additionally, is there an IDEAL time?

This project also includes some stairs, which I suspect just might influence the answer...?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

If your house locked up and you have HVAC running then there is no real time of your that should make much difference. I am over here on Vancouver Island and we bang the board all year long. One could make the argument that spring and fall would be "best" for installations because they represent the median levels of weather however for you and me my friend we have 3 seasons of SOAKED and one of DRY so really....

Why are you looking at a floating installation?

3. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

Hi @Mark Brown ;
    Yep, you're right about the essential lack of a true median in our respective climes, so that makes sense to me. Just wanted to make sure.

The short answer to why I'm humbly considering floating installation, is that it, (so far in my research), has seemed to be the most approved method for climates with significant humidity changes...however, I have learned that there are many schools of thought on all things hardwood, which is exactly why I'm here. I am dedicated to having a finished product that is the most protected from eventual squeaking, as well as noise reduction.
    Yes, I've come across many convincing arguments from clearly knowledgeable and experienced pros, (on other sites as well), that they swear by upfront total assurance of subfloor flatness, no underlay, and only nailing...as well as using glue in addition...? It seems to be a real ongoing debate. I'm just a passive jury at this point hearing out the case!

Which for me, step one was total consideration of when to start a project. I had come across installers mentioning how they either had to get moving on there project, or were putting it off due to this factor.
    Thanks!

4. Mark Brown

The absolute best way to install all engineered hardwood floors is a full spread adhesive. It will never squeak!! The cost and skill involved are inhibitors for this but in a perfect world i would glue down ever floor i ever touch.

Floating a floor in all honest, especially when it comes to engineered wood would be my least favorite method in all the world. Floors sound "fake" and of all the wood floors i have ever removed because of failure (not mine might i add) ALL of them have been floating installs. Pinch points, weight distribution, hollows or humps in the floor all make this methodology almost impossible to achieve with long term success, not to mention the loss of the ability to finish tight to anything and those ugly T-Molding that become so necessary... but ask me about it some time and i will tell you how i really feel :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

Thanks for your reply, @Mark Brown (without REALLY saying how you feel:p, of course), and I'm really starting to recognize that, (and this is on other sites as well), that when experienced installers say what they would do on their OWN house, (or in your case, "a perfect world"), full spread adhesive seems to win the day.
    In the spirit of keeping a thread to one question, I will open a new thread up again along these lines, with more info on the house, pics and the layout, (could be awhile, out of town for more than the holidays).
    Thanks again.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I don't know why some people are confused about this. You certainly can ask more than one question in a topic. What bothers me (and I suppose others to some extent) is starting multiple topics about the same project thinking everyone will follow all of them. Then when you reference something said in a different topic, it confuses the reader.

Now, if your project encompasses 2 or more different types of flooring, then by all means, start a new topic in, for instance, the hardwood forum to discuss the hardwood and the carpet forum to discuss the carpet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mark Brown

Or just solve all of your problems and get me over on the mainland to do it all for you :)

....nothing like a friendly plug for me and mine on the holidays

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

...I love to learn, do and create...that's the main thing for me! I'm excited about this journey, just as I have been with many other endeavours. I will however, recommend to friends considering hiring someone to install for them to get on here and acquaint themselves first though. There is a lot of customers out there that sure wish they had.

9. Mark Brown

You are not wrong about that. I run into them all the time.

Where are you installing said hardwood? Top floor on wood i assume?

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

If you want exacting specifics, extreme detailing, precision, critical, that perfect world it all comes down to numbers. Measuring, meters,gauges,etc.

Your region has a known parameter of average moisture called zones. Climate change may change it but for now go with existing numbers. What is your ambient air humidity? What is the humidity of the wood products in your home? The subfloor should be within 2% of the hardwood. Do you have the equipment to measure, calibrated? What is the equation of the species of hardwood relative to moisture fluctuations? Do you have the ability to isolate hardwood to match the moisture level in environment being installed in?

So product will be most stable when installed to expand and contract equally as moisture levels change within accepted parameters through HVAC controls above/and or below when all other standards that NWFA has published are met.

Sadly environmental factors or broken water supply lines voids all the precautions taken clenching fists in frustration.

11. Ken M.

Ken M. Member

Thank you for your prompt reply Mike, and I will get back to this thread with the cited information once my friend, (the homeowner for whom the floor is to be installed) and I are back in Vancouver early in the New Year.

• Like Like x 1