Time for change

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Floored by Newman, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

After reading & watching article I feel things just may change for contractors. I left Utah 3 Years ago being a native so this does excite me as it has impacted alot of people.[excerpt=Keith McCord]The construction industry is on the rebound in Utah and across the country, but contractors are having a hard time finding qualified workers for the good-paying jobs.[/excerpt]

Read the whole article: Booming construction industry facing worker shortage | KSL.com

2. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Because us flooring schleps never really made a true living wage, unless you were in the sales end, (but at that, an average of 26% margin sure ain't 'high livin') when '08 hit, lots of us looked to leverage our skills elsewhere.
    The pawn shops filled up with rusted kickers, wet saws, and Hummels if you remember.
    Now, 7 years later, many skilled tradesmen are entrenched in other fields.
    Much like myself.
    :cool:
    Well... I'm entrenched anyway, skilled is someone else's judgement to make...
    :cool:
    I imagine this is much the same with all of the trades.

3. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

If contractors that have jobs to offer keep sneaking around and hiring illegals willing to work for subsistence wages, that's what you will get. A diminished, less knowledgeable, poorer work force.

That is what has happened during the past twenty years in this country. Companies have decided to buy widgets from over seas to reduce costs and line their own pockets while putting Americans in the soup line. Construction companies have hired illegals to reduce payroll costs and line their own pockets. The U.S. Government has chosen to swell the "hand-out ranks" while continuing to ignore and refuse to enforce the immigration laws already on the books.

So...this country's work force is now faced with pay levels that don't allow anyone to have anything. Welfare and unemployment pays more than job wages.

Construction activity is returning to this area also but there are no skilled workers in the labor pool to fill the escalation of jobs. Youngsters just want to sit in front of a computer without breaking a sweat playing Candy Crush and tweeting about Taylor Swift and Kardashian's tits.

We pretty much got what we deserved by allowing the U.S. Senate and Congress to operate as they have for many years. I would imagine that those of us that do work are paying well over fifty-five percent of our income into the tax coffers of this failing country.

Right now I could easily triple my business volume but I don't have access to interested willing workers I would need to get it done.

Continue to allow the gangs to bang and the protesters to burn and the illegals to roll in in droves and the politicians spend spend spend and see where we are in a few more years. Our woes are far from over.

4. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

Very well said Bud.....agree 1000%!

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting in to more wood installation because of the huge gap in wages between doing something like carpet on concrete and installing an engineered floor is just too great to ignore. I like soft goods better for sure, but at some point the money wins out.

6. Floored by Newman

Carpet guys do not get the credit deserved :( I can teach someone how to install hardwood or luxury vinyl easier than I can carpet. Install carpet correct anyways. Pay is a big difference :blink:

7. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

That's what made me expand into wood and tile after 10 yrs of carpet.
    Always preferred the fuzz jobs, even if they were typically more detail and muscle, don't know why really.

8. Floored by Newman

9 out of 10 carpet jobs can be done without major prep. Hard surface requires alot of prep. Few understand a prep charge or just simply pretend that it does not matter :mad: I prefer carpet...less stress and tends to be more consistent.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Prep has kept us busy, recently a few jobs the retailer had other new crews do had some major complaints. Shower floor puddle, gaps in new glue down hardwood install. So the retailer can't grow due to poor quality installs. Huh! I'm not the only one with growing pains.
    I don't see wages going up voluntarily.

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Other stores here are keeping installers wage down. Twice in one week we lost two jobs because of the internet or lower wage.

When I started 30 years ago you had to do and learn everything or you didn't have work. Then everything was so busy it became individualized and the economy crashed. Now, everyone is back into doing everything in house.

11. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Please don't take this politically - it is not meant as such...

...but this is what happens when a trade has very little union representation.
    Trades like electrical, plumbing, and mechanical have strong representation, and when population centers like NYC or Chicago raise rates due to union pressures, the rest of the country follows.

These trades also have minimum training standards and certification - again the result of union pressure to standardize and level the field - which flooring does not.
    In most cases flooring certification is purely voluntary.

Until that changes, and packs of untrained illegal scabs can't cut your throat on pricing, wages for flooring guys will stay low.
    Sad truth.

12. Taurus Flooring

Taurus Flooring Over 30yrs Experience

As long as there is no flaws in the carpet that is, which seems to be every second roll these days. :(

13. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I see maybe one flaw in every 50 or so rolls that I touch. Maybe I just have bad eyes.

14. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, that's a huge advantage for me in some instances.

15. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We see and cut out if I can flaws every now and then. Don't have to mess with it too much on high end wools because they all come that way.
    As far as union here, they sit around more than they work here. Most do State jobs as its required. Another sample is reservation jobs.

16. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

With the economy starting to turn for the better, most shops I have talked to are getting out of the "bid it to get it" mode and starting to bid reasonable prices. That should trickle down to us lowly installers so long as we smart enough to ask for it.