Tiling on plywood

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Greg Dunda, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Greg Dunda

Greg Dunda Banned

Hello I am new to the forum . When I lived in New Jersey It was common practice to To lay floor tile on plywood . I always figured that there needed to be an inch and an eight minimum total thickness . I have done many jobs and never had a problem . Once I had to take up some tiles I put down years prior to continue the pattern into the next room and I had to pulverize the tiles to get them up . One side note was to not use Luan because it has oils in the wood preventing the adhesive from bonding well .I since moved to Virginia and it seems that laying tile without wonder board or durarock is unheard of . So my question is yay or nay to tiling to plywood

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I believe that’s what NTCA standards were in the 90’s. it’s changed. Probably they are more concerned with deflection ratios. Hardi/Durock is just to get a better bond. It doesn’t add to rigidity.

I think it’s 3/4” minimum now? The main factors are movement and bond. I believe there are new thinsets specifically made for plywood. We have removed tile from plywood which didn’t bond too well, from particleboard that stuck extremely well.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

You can put tile on plywood until you are blue in the face. Anyone that says different is just stealing your money. Of course as Mike alluded to one still has to adhere to all other industry standards however it is an industry standard to install on ply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Oh yeah reminds me. Retailer had us put Lauan down for ceramic 10? Years ago, we missed a small spot fastening it to the substrate, the next morning it was a half inch off the floor.

5. Red

Red Canadian Redneck Charter Member

Up here in BC Canada it's been done for decades without any problems, if done right. That's the catch, to do it right. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Long time, no see, @Red, welcome back.

7. Red

Red Canadian Redneck Charter Member

Thank you Jim, I hope you and the site are doing well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Better with you here than without. :D

9. Mike Antonetti

Evaluation- joints are not lined up, cracked tile, insufficient crawlspace clearance and ventilation, insufficient trowel notch size, deflection. Ez rip up.

Attached Files:

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I like tile on wonder board or something that thinset will bond to. I've seen several on plywood that are failing in the long term.

• Like Like x 1