Tile over tile, is that cool ?

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Mike Sliwinski, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

While working with another installer a few weeks back ( direct glue, carpet job ) we noticed
    the Ceramic installer was going over the old wall and floor tiles w/ new ceramic. A pink sealer or bonding agent was used on the old wall tiles, but I didn't notice anything on the mosaic floor tiles. Just curious, what would you guys have done ?

As a side note, while finishing the carpet, he was ready to set the Hollywood threshold over the old one, with-out protecting the carpet :eek: Now granted the carpet shouldn't have been installed, BUT it was :eek:.........So, I polity said " Hey man, STOP ! how about protecting the carpet edge from the mud " ....... Just then, the wallpaper man, who was next to the carpenter, who was talking to the plumber :eek:....... threw me a roll of Frog Tape, NICE ! it takes a village of workers to raise the quality of a job :rolleyes:

Mike

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’ve done it over the years but we do a light grinding on the walls and floors and use a good base thinset
    Never had a call back from it coming up
    It’s mostly done here to save on demo
    If the walls and floors are the old mudset

Ron

3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

TCNA TR712 & TR713 detail tile over tile installations. Providing the tile is well bonded and the proper thinsets / bonding agents are used and there are no weight considerations for the underlying substrate it's an acceptable and warranted installation method.

We did it here about 6 years ago when we remodeled our office in the bathrooms. We have had zero issues.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mike Sliwinski

The thin-set used was an off-white color

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I got a call today about installing tile over some polished granite, north of 2k ft. TCNA would be the proper method. It is specifically done to avoid demo costs. Someone’s getting stuck holding the ball. Yesterday we removed tile, the family room had Berber which was oddly higher than the tile. Same with bedrooms and den. Tile was under carpet, the estimator caught the family room, not the bedrooms which had parquet.

Two guys got 1/4 room done in 6 hours, creating dust from patched slab. Anywho, I’ve seen tile put over everything. What occurs is it may unbond. The thinset gets hard but may not “stick.” Forces applied laterally can overcome any bond and will tent, sounding hollow and other failures.

I like Eco PrimGrip, it sticks and has aggregate in it for the thinset to bond to.

At any rate whichever product the manufacturer recommends is what should be done.

What are the odds someone is properly installing tile over tile? 20%? Or <!

One pic by fireplace is self leveler with no primer, then some paper glued down for crack suppression(another non approved TCNA method) and thinset. We removed it all to the chalky overwatered slab. Gotta send bill tomorrow.

The pic of white 8x8’s you can see someone took a diamond cutting blade and scored the top of tile creating a line @ 2” spacing. Well I knock knock and the hollow sound replies back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  6. Mike Antonetti

All I have is 2016’s TCNA handbook. I’m sure in 2 years this topic has gotten more detailed.

I called Mapei for my question of granite which they returned my call with a message stating scuff the surface to make it porous, clean then Eco Prim Grip rolled on then appropriate thinset. I’m not clear on the water drop test for porosity as granite is not very porous, porcelain is not very porous if going over that. Then the mortar must set, so it it would be between two almost non porous materials. So, I must call back and get some clarifications.

Attached Files:

7. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I seen someone put porcelain tile over an engineered hardwood a few months ago.
    If I did that it would be problematic from day 1. Theres will probably last a lifetime though, lol.

8. Mike Sliwinski

Ignorance is Bliss ;)

I'm just thinking practical with no schooling, but would the thin-set cure through the open grout joints ? Maybe you need to keep traffic off for more than a few days :hu:

9. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I'm guessing it would be like going over ditra. You would probably use unmodified mortar because it cures.

10. Mike Antonetti

That’s what technical is for, I call and pick their brain till I understand. You have to keep asking, then they develop the proper product.