Tile over carpet glue

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Dusti, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Dusti

Dusti Member

Hello all, sorry I don’t know where to post this. I need some advise. So we are remodeling parts of our house, and after pulling up the carpet from the floor and around the base of the fireplace, we found the old brick hearth and been covered in concrete and the carpet glued to it. My first thought was to tile over the glue, but now I’m not so sure what to do with it. The glue is at least 1/4 “ thick in some spots and the concrete isn’t smooth. I’m not sure how to get it off there without making a bigger mess to try and cover. Any suggestions

dusti1776.JPEG upload_2020-10-5_14-17-41.jpeg

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

That looks like a high grade/premium multi-purpose. It's not coming off easily, I'll bet. Use a 4" razor scraper. Take off whatever you can. Check if you can mist/spray it to soften it with HOT water. If it's not scraping off, not softening or "melting" away from the hot water I would feel comfortable smoothing over the glue with patch and tiling over the smooth coat. Not sure what you're using-------wall mastic or thin set? Either way I want the surface smoothed out. You're also going to see how that reacts to the glue and again, scrape and chip at it to make sure it's not going to be a source of weakness.

3. Although it’s too late what is the lip on the floor? It should’ve been removed(chiseled off)

What’s the size of overhang of the stone slab? Looks like only 1/2”? I would probably use an SDS Plus 2” wide bit with a Bosch bulldog extreme max and chisel that adhesive off to get to masonry. Maybe not! It’s a see what sticks type of situation.

You’re putting mosaic on? It’s only aesthetic, not walked on so won’t be subjected to forces.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

I agree, that should have been addressed before any flooring was installed.

5. Dusti

Dusti Member

The lip overhang is 2” and the lip on the floor is part of the hearth which is also concreted ( and 4”) and the sub floor goes around . Small mosaic tile was the plan on the vertical and horizontal floor lip.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I like incognitos approach. In general regular Thinset would not bond well to that adhesive. Your pre mixed mortar may not as well. If you patch it the premix can stick to that.

7. Dusti

Dusti Member

Thank you everyone for the replies. I bought some concrete patch and I’m going to do some tests with it to see how it bonds. It seems easier than getting the glue off. Wish me luck.

8. We shoulda been more specific or you shoulda asked. A patch that bonds well like Ardex Feather finish

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

NOT concrete patch

cementitious underlayment-------FLOOR patch comparable to Ardex Feather Finish

concrete patch is not designed to go on THIN as a smoothing agent

its for filling holes

10. Dusti

Dusti Member

Gotcha, I found some feather finish. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I don't want to be the guy that throws a wrench in your gears but I hope you scraped off/ skim coated your floor prior to installing that floating floor.

. The sticky glue residue will most likely be a issue with the floating floor. Possibly making popping noise and/or possible separation of the floor itself.

Just wanted to point that out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I’ve seen the attached underlayment falling off with pieces I have sitting around on laminate.

13. Dusti

Dusti Member

Ac
    Actually the sub floor was fine, the glue is only on the concreted hearth.