Tile guys

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by kwfloors, Aug 31, 2017.

1. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Hey tile guys, we carpet guys hate making your tile edge look good for our carpet to look good. Quit being sloppy. Thank you tile edge.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Tile guy probably left the schluter there and said "the carpet guys can install this"

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

They're Idiots. A little margin trowel and forcing thinset under the whole tile edge so it won't chip due to insufficient support.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

In our defense, I've had several instances where the carpet guys got wild with their hammer and chipped the edge of the tile. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, I've seen that too by other installers. This instance had a plastic ulay imbedded in it that spent a blade in my knife and scraper.

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I leave my schluter edges clean because once upon a time I was that carpet guy who had to clean that crap up and it pissed me off every time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

IMG_1449.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

We literally had a store meeting over this very issue. We were sick of tile guys screwing us when we were already pressed for time to finish a job. The last straw came when we were over an hour away working after our shop's tile guys were there and left grout slopped over the edge as well as a spot or two on top of the tile. The home owner ran a flathead screwdriver into his hand and cut himself. It's been better since, but it was more the attitude of not caring about the next guy that pissed us off more than them doing a crappy job.

9. Chris 45

Over an hour away from the shop is a perfect time to call and have them come back and clean up their shit or pay you $50 per doorway to do it. The reality is that the carpet guys are usually the last trade so they get stuck cleaning up after everybody else.

• Like Like x 2
  10. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

that's what brought about the store meeting. The installer (who shall remain nameless) that I was working with left a bill for the tile installer and he got all butt hurt over it.

11. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Good for J-,

I tell them they need to wipe their ass(clean up after themselves) it's kind of a mind plant that sticks in their head when those situations arise, possibly causing embarrassment prevention.

12. Chris 45

I call those people out right to their face. If you don't like it, don't leave a mess for me to clean up. I ain't your mama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Old thread now but i am so on board with this!!

That mortar is there to protect the RAW tile edge.. you know like speed bumps in front of cross walks

Uh, no Ms home owner lady, tile edges are supposed to be unfinished. Those carpet dicks will come along and make it all pretty some how.

Here is one, So J-Trim is stupidly cheap and tile edges are forever. How many times do i walk into a house that is getting hardwood and hey look... raw uneven tile edges. So you want me to build a header to that hey?? Because that makes it so easy for me. OR what? throw some god awful reducer in there.

This is why i started doing tile again, these things make me sad

• Like Like x 1