tile and mud over radiant heat tubes

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by jimmythewelder, Jan 5, 2008.

1. jimmythewelder

jimmythewelder Pro Member

Ok, just want to say in advance thanks for all info. I have seem the process before but never attempted myself. I am currently redoing my house I have about 1000 sq ft of tile to do in the house. I am doing all the same tile in a pinwheel throughout this area. I know the mud is going to be about 1 1/2" thick under the tile. First question is should I use "mud" or jibcrete? Second, I have figured since reading the mix is 4:1 I think I will need 4yds of sand and 1yd of portland for this cubic area. does this seem right? How many and of course what size bags of portland would I need for 1 yd? I would think the jibcrete would be the best way for me to get a better finish however I don't even know the cost of it compared to mud. I realize the labor would be a lot less. Again Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

2. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

Hold on here Jimmy!!!

First things first. Oh and by-the-way, the product is "GYPCRETE".

Actually I come up with a little over six yards of material but first I have some questions.

Do you intend to install radiant heat for the whole 1000 square feet? If so, what kind?
    Have you ever done any kind of concrete work before?
    What type of floor structure do you have? Wood or concrete?
    If wood, what size are the floor joists? What is the spacing of the floor joists? What is the unsupported span of the floor joists? What is the subfloor made of? How thick is the subfloor material? Is the base subfloor tongue and groove?
    What is the structures live-load and dead-load rating?

Depending on exactly what you buy a bag of portland weighs 90#.

Gypcrete is used everyday for this purpose but it has its issues. Gypcrete will require additional attention (and cost) before a tile installation can be performed, it ain't as easy as you may think.:)

3. Floorguy

Floorguy The Living Dead Charter Member Senior Member

Can the structure, accomidate the weight?????:eek:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  4. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

That's exactly where I was going with all of that. The project is going to add somewhere around 12# per square foot. There is a lot to be considered with a process such as this.: