Thoughts on Forbo L910 for cork

Discussion in 'Cork Flooring Q&A' started by jojo, Sep 2, 2015.

1. jojo

jojo New Member

Hi, Folks:

I'm wondering if Forbo L910 will adhere natural cork sheet underlayment properly to a concrete slab.

The Forbo technical bulletin does say it can lay down Bulletin Board, which is some kind of cork-based product, though it's got a jute backing like Marmoleum sheet. The stuff I'm using is your standard 6.5mm / 1/4" sheet cork. Never used it before, but it was recommended under my heating mat.

I just find myself wanting to start first thing tomorrow on this, not drive all over town looking for a lousy gallon of Roberts 7250, which is what the manufacturer recommends "for best results."

I do think it's a bit nuts to use anything other than what's recommended, and I've never done it before, but then again, maybe I'm overthinking it. And it really kills me that I have this spare unopened gallon of L910. I need some feedback.

;) OK, go ahead. Let's hear it! And thanks.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I've read it says not for flooring.

As Stephanie has said, some roll cork product is loose laid, I guess for floating type floors.

I have seen urethane adhesives recommended for cork.

Adhesives are tricky, even the right stuff can fail if conditions aren't right, set time,etc.

Not sure of what flooring you're installing but doesn't appear the adhesive withstands forces applied to flooring in use.
  3. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

Most people don't wake up in the morning and say to themselves: I think today I will shoot myself in the foot.

This is what you are suggesting, and asking us to help you pull the trigger. Ain't gonna happen!:)
  4. The Forbo L190w CLEARLY states: "Not for use with flooring, wall base and wall panels."

Guess that's a "no".

Roberts 7250 is showing up at Home Depot...pretty cheap (4gal pail = $30). It is for plywood and concrete (at, above or below grade...but watch your moisture levels).

Instructions for Roberts 7250:
    For Cork Underlayment 3/8 in. or thicker, coverage using a 1/8 in. x 1/8 in. x 1/16 in. Flat-Top-V-notch trowel is approximately 90-110 sq. ft. per gallon
    For Cork Underlayment 3/8 in. or less, coverage using a 1/16 in. x 1/16 in. x 1/16 in. Sq-notch trowel is approximately 170-190 sq. ft. per gallon

This is cheap, appropriate and easy to work with...if it ain't broke...don't fix it.
  5. jojo

jojo New Member

I hear ya!

Interesting: My Forbo plastic can says none of those things, and as I said, it's not Forbo L910W. I assume the "W" is for walls, but my bucket of L910W was originally for linoleum sheet flooring.

But it's a moot point. I went to HD and bought the very last, almost-expired, way-high-up-on-the-shelf, dusty 4-gallon bucket of the proper adhesive.

On a good note, the nice salesman knocked the price down. The shelf life is 1 year and it had been sitting there almost that long.

That's what you get when you don't order everything in advance.

Thanks, all. My foot is intact, no shooting of it occurred. :p

6. Hi Jojo...glad to hear you got a good deal. I could only find the L910w on line so that's what I quoted.

I didn't dig too deep so you will have to find the "moisture" level allowed for the Roberts. Test your slab...and then test again. The biggest issue with glue on concrete = moisture causes it to let go.

I carry several water based products and all of my manufacturers state (off the record of course) that MOST of these products can go for 18 months without a problem. It becomes "touch and go" around the 24 month mark.

As long as you use it quickly (before X-mas would be my suggestion), you should be OK.

Have fun and remember to test the slab:D
  7. jojo

jojo New Member

Thanks, that's great to hear. I will use it tonight!

Yes, I had already had that slab tested because I knew it would take ages, and it did. I thought of everything except the adhesive. Most stores have every Roberts product under the sun--but they do not customarily carry the 7250; you always have to special-order it. I assumed it would be there at my local store when I needed it, and it wasn't. Hence my initial panic moment.

It's all better now. Whew! In a way, it's crazy--to do all that work and planning and then poop out at the last minute by even considering just any adhesive.

Glad I waited 24 hours before acting. Home improvement can make you crazy.