The Positive Aspects of Training

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Elmer Fudd, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Let's talk about some good training we have gotten. Try to be positive and upbuilding.

I went to a Konecto training in March, all day by an experienced installer from the distributor. It cost $100 and I got a neat certificate and a kool roller (sent it to Barry).

I arranged for Mohawk to come and put on an carpet tile install clinic in Pittsburgh. Steve and Bruce Gentry came and we had 25 installers. Cost was $0 and Mohawk picked up the tab for pizza and wings.:D

Whose next?

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

We never seem to get any training or info nights up here :(

3. Hoss

Hoss Charter Member

Best training I have ever received came from individuals. You gain so much more by picking peoples brain and letting them do most of the talking.

My first big impact person was Jim Walker. He taught me the basics of running a profitable business and how to stop being taken advantage of by retailers. I may not agree with everything he does or says but the guy made an impact on my life that I'll never forget.

Secondly is David Hunt :bow: . I went in saying I can't do this but he and Charlene, well mostly Charlene ;) , showed me how and and told me I could. He gave me opportunities to learn and serve that no one else would do.

Thirdly would be Phil Pearlman from the World of Wovens. The guy is in his late 70's and is just full of knowledge and skill.

But as for seminars it has to be Armstrong's 2 week residential/commercial vinyl course in Lancaster, PA.

4. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I just did the Duo-fast/Armstrong/CFI wood cert./training course. I got a lot of good info. from both the staff as well as from the attendees. This course is touring and may be coming to your town soon. Check it out, if you can, miss it only if you have to! :D

5. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

The Armstrong vinyl course is very good.

6. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

I've done Congoleum clinics twice, Mirage and Konect-ohno once.

Congo was great with the tour

7. Dave Garden

Dave Garden CFI and Proud

I believe the best place to learn is working side by side with a true craftsman. For me that guy was Tom Herr. He taught me everything good about this trade. From how to say hello without sounding pushy to how to wrap up a job correctly. Of course everything in between also. Never once did I see him try to stretch with a kicker. Most installers do not have that fortune. I believe in CFI. If an installer has an open mind he will also have questions. Remember when you were wondering how one seam looked better than the other, but you didn't know why. For many guys CFI helps provide this answer and many more.

NWFA also had an informitive class

8. Hoss

Hoss Charter Member

I want to ad that the training I mentioned all cost money. They are not free but were all worth every dollar. I think we expect things to be free in this industry to often and when you sit back and think about it, ask yourself some questions...

How much have you invested in yourself? How much education have you actually paid for? When you attend these seminars, what are you hoping to get out of it?

Some guys don't mind paying for training but we constantly hear people say "it cost to much or it's not worth it or it's to far to travel".

A wise man from Vermont once said "if it's to be it's up to _ _ " :yesss:

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I had heard about this organization that was testing installers. I came back from a two week vacation a week early to take the test. It ended up being CFI. Jim Walker gave the seminar and talked about a deadman. I had never heard of it. From then on I was hooked. I worked my way up to being a Senior Certifier and couldn't get or attend enough educational events. That was almost 18 years ago and almost 150 certifications later.
    A lot has changed in that 18 years and trying to keep up with is a real chore especilly since I retired 5 years ago now. Convention helps me do that.
    I did the Armstrong traveling school in 98 and thought that to be great. In 92 did the custom rug school At NCE in Minneapolis. Really enjoyed that.
    So bring on the seminars and trainings I'm all for them.

Daris

10. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

For me to pin point just one of the trainings I have gone to as the best that would be a hard thing for me to do.
    I go with an open mind and with the idea I am going to learn at lest one thing, I alway come back with more then one thing. Even when I am doing the training I come back learning something, so many times one of the people there tell me and show me something that I say, man that is neat.
    Like Hoss the list is long of the people that I have had the honor to have meet because of training. Hoss I count it an honor to have spent time learning from you.

11. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Like Roland, its hard to pin point one course that was better than the other. Did Armstrong in 1978 and not my son wants to attend (his idea, not mine). Although, I know I can train him and I have been, I like how his attitude has changed for the better over the last couple of years.

And like Dave said and we talked about this on the phone yesterday. I love working with anyone who has an open mind. Chances are if you are narrow minded, self centered, and arrogant you will learn nothing from any type of training. Unfortunately I see too many installers with the attitude that they cannot be taught anything new. Well I think that BS. Like Roland said, if you go and learn just one thing it was worth it.

12. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

There was a konecto training last fall (I think it was mike sahli) in Kalispell. The problem is, I never know when they're happening. And, I wanted to go to the konecto one, but couldn't pass up a large job to go to it.

They have quite a few in missoula (quite a ways to drive for you though).

13. FYI FLoors

FYI FLoors Pro Member

I go to our NFA moisture seminars every year if I can. Its pretty much the same info annually but I always come away with something I didnt last year:)

I try and fit as much education as I can around work, life and kid rearing. Its hard to read a book when you have a 3.5yr old but I have three on the go.

I am lucky to have the mentors I do as training here is hard to get for what I want to learn. When I come to the states in the near future it will be for training only (and to catch up with some of you if poss):D

I love education:D, wish I'd had the same pasion for it when I was at school:( Was to busy having a social life:yesss:

14. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

Over 27 years, I have only been to a few seminars. Everyone one of them I have learned something. It was at the first one I ever attended that I heard about a "pole" stretcher. Up until then, it was pull back that leg and let her fly!
    Another seminar was on seaming, (I believe it was by Orcon) and that's where I learned about latex seam sealing. What a difference in my seams!
    I feel those of us that take the time to go to these seminars are the guys that truly care! If you are only going if they have beer, you are going for the wrong reason! This website is a seminar!

15. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

Four people showed up in Kalispell, i know its tough times there.

We will be back again in the summer for Konecto and Teknoflor installation training. We will do some welding instruction also.

Thats a lot of info for $ 99.00.

16. rusty baker

How far East do you go?

17. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

Colorado.

18. rusty baker

Darn, too far away for me.

19. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

20. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

Yes, we have a rep there now so Boise is on the list. I'll pay you to do the welding training, you can use my brand new just updated Turbo Weld tools.:yesss: