The Firs Chalet Remodel

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by DianeFirs, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DianeFirs

DianeFirs New Member

Hi, we volunteer with The Firs Chalet at Mount Baker, WA. The Chalet is a nonprofit retreat center that sleeps 100 people for weekend retreats both summer and winter. The Chalet is located 54 miles from Bellingham, WA near the Mount Baker Ski Area. The Chalet was hand built in the 1950s with huge beams and tongue-in-groove planks. Winter snow amounts are typically 660" per season. Summers are glorious!

We are remodeling bathrooms on the third and fourth floor. Bathrooms are about 8 feet wide and 16 or 22' long including showers. There is a floor drain in each bathroom near the two toilets. We can slope the tiles slightly at the hall doorway to ensure any water that spills can be directed to the floor drain. Pics and building cross section follows. The kitchen is directly below the third floor bathroom. WE MUST HAVE A FLOOR AND SHOWERS THAT CANNOT LEAK!

We are open to flooring solutions. In the showers, we are thinking a Schluter Kerdi waterproof solution covered with porcelain tiles. On the floors, one option is 3/4" plywood over the planking, followed by Schluter DITRA taped up the wall with Kerdi Band, covered with porcelain tiles. We are having a hard time verifying that the floor construction and loads will be strong enough and stiff enough for the porcelain tile.

We are also considering some type of solid vinyl sheet goods. What kind of floor prep and waterproofing would be used in that case. Flooring must hold up to heavy weekend use by students.

Any observations or input welcome!

JB 1 Floor Framing ISO.jpg JB 2 Floor Framing Zoom.jpg JB 3 chalet window wall close up.jpeg JB 4 IMG_0007.JPG IMG-winter 2018 front lawn.jpg

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Man, I sure miss a good mountain lodge.

3. DianeFirs

DianeFirs New Member

We could use some skilled volunteer help!

• Like Like x 1
  4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

The schluter kerdi system is top notch. I’m not a tile installer but that’s he way I’d go. It’s not cheap, but neither are repairs.

That pitch of roof is appropriate for heavy snow, smart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I agree the Schluter system is good, but more importantly is installed properly.

6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Get me into america without a passport and ill be right there!!
    Im living on Vancouver island and would love a trip LOL
    That being said, your idea is spot on. If you do that, and do it well you will not have a problem. Not having see the structure i cannot verify the load calculation but i can tell you i do it in poorly built Canadian homes all the time and they sure aren't built to last... i mean, uh...