TFP Members Sending Jim to Surfaces 2014

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Jim McClain, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I woke up this morning to a wonderful surprise: donations from members of The Floor Pro Community to send me to Surfaces 2014. Like I told Elmer, who was the bearer of your gifts, I hardly know what to say. Well, if you know me, that's no deterrent. ;)

I am both excited and scared. Every year I worry that I may not have another Surfaces left. You guys have sent me twice in the last 7 years and now a third time. I sure couldn't afford to do this myself, but the cost is not my only worry, as many of you know. Lung disease makes life pretty challenging and taking a long trip and being around large groups of people is very challenging. I can't fly because of my equipment needs and I know that some of the people there will be bringing their colds along. Even a minor cold is a major complication for me.

But as frightening as those issues are, flooring conventions have always been the highlight of my 40+ years involvement in this industry. My first event was "Market" in San Francisco in the early 70s. My last event was Surfaces 2012, thanks to some of you. I am very excited about attending Surfaces 2014. Before posting this, I wanted to register. I'm still waiting on confirmation, but they charged my Paypal card, so I guess I was accepted. :dance:

Thank you, whoever you all are. I am SO looking forward to the trip. I'm not sure I'm worthy of your generosity, but I will do my best to represent TFP and to work hard to bring us more recognition and support from the flooring industry. If any of you are also going, I hope you will contact me so we can meet up. You can send me a PM here or call me (530.518.0023), or just look for the tall guy in the crowd - I'm not really tall, but when I'm on my Segway, I'm 6'8". :) If you have a booth, be sure to let me know, so I can stop by it.

I will be sharing the adventure here in this topic with lots of pictures and comments. I hope you will share your thoughts here too.

Jim

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Jim, go and enjoy. Your tireless efforts on behalf of TheFloorPro do not go unnoticed, this is just a little payback.

3. Jim McClain

Thanks Mr. Fudd. :D

I got my registration confirmation, but the barcode thing didn't show on it. I replied back to ask them to resend and they blamed it on me. :hu: I had to send the email to my Yahoo email account and it showed up. I printed it out.

As I was reading it, I notice this:
    I'm hoping that is only in reference to those who do not have mobility issues. I tried calling the number they provided for questions, but they apparently closed the office 2 hours early today. I'll try again tomorrow.

Anxiety creeps in...

4. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

That doesn't cover these:

pack mule.jpg camel.jpg

Can you rent one when you get there?

5. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

If nothing else Jim, being Vegas, I'm sure you could probably hire some showgirls to carry you around. :D

Hope to see ya there!

6. Jim McClain

Been there, done that. :yesss: Well, it was an exotic dancer and she didn't actually carry me, but taking her was part of the deal I made with a club owner so I could get fed every day. That was 2007 and I don't know any club owners there anymore.

I got a phone call at 6:00am from the Surfaces Operations Manager. She was a very nice young woman and prob'ly didn't realize she was calling a guy in California that didn't usually wake up until 11ish. But once I realized who was calling and why, I was very happy she called.

segafied.jpg I didn't come right out and say my mobility aide was a Segway, but during the conversation she asked if we were talking about a Segway. She said that's the problem because... I tried to interrupt her gently to mention that I saw in the Surfaces.com Q&A section that everything was ADA accessible, which made me relieved because, since 2010, Segways are specifically mentioned in the ADA. A short moment of silence later she said for me not to worry, that she would be sure security would have my name and there would be no problem. She sent me an email confirming it and provided me with her personal phone number, in case there is a problem.

What a relief. I am even more excited about going now. I was allowed access on my Seg at the 2012 show, but they did give me the run-around for an hour or so first. The biggest problem with that is my life is pretty much battery powered these days - batteries on my Seg and batteries on my portable o2 concentrator. None last for more than 3 hours or so and they all take forever to recharge. Kind of a show-stopper, if you'll pardon the pun.

So, it's on. I have room reservations at the Luxor. I didn't reserve any rooms for my drive down and back because I will just stop when I get tired. The towns are pretty small, so it shouldn't be a problem. There are 3 hotels attached by walkways, one on each side of the Luxor, so if the weather is bad, I'll be fine and won't have to leave the buildings.

Thanks,

Jim

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Great, I am glad it is coming together.

Hey, an idea, since ya like hats maybe one of those BIG stovepipe hats with TheFloorPro.com on it!!:eek:

Well.................it would get attention!!:rolleyes:

8. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Has anyone come up with a place and time to meet yet?
    I am thinking we will find Daris at his stand, (can't think of the name) at say about 11.30 am of the second day then maybe catch some lunch
    Over the next 21 days we will be cruising from BA to Antarctica then up to Satiago so will be keeping away from expensive dial up
    Looking forward to catching up with you again

9. Jim McClain

Daris will prob'ly be manning the CFI exhibit. Second day at 11:30am sounds good to me - lunch sounds even better. :D

Say, what's the deal I saw that said no pictures on the showroom floor? Why would they even want to make a rule like that?

Jim

10. Jon Scanlan

Yeah thats what I meant Jim
    I might still have some Argentina money left for our lunch but I don't know about you
    I think 1US dollar equals about 9 pesos
    Been getting early trips and getting back to the hotel late
    Brain not working

11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Nope Daris will not be manning the CFI booth. I'm told there isn't a booth per say. Everything will be done in the certification area and I'm not part of it. I have been retired.
    Don't know anything about the camera thing.
    We will have to set up a meeting point and time though.

:old:

Daris

12. Jim McClain

Well, you and Jon know the layout much better than I do, so I'll let you guys figure out where. I wonder if any of our other members have a booth?

13. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

I will have to most likely have to try and work something out. On Tue's morning I am involed in one of the education siemaniars. Then I need to get to the certification area to be one of the trainers. We could make it a diner or one morning before the show.
    Daris, I wish they would let be do the picking,I would have you right next to me.

14. Jim McClain

There's no reason we can't have more than one meet-up. I do like the idea of meeting before the show. We did that in 2012 and I enjoyed that a lot - you're great coffee drinkin' company, Roland. Dinner would be nice too.

I'm not making any plans for myself, so I can be wherever you guys want to meet up, whether that's just one or two of you, or a big group. Of course, I will need time between to recharge batteries, but as long as I am gliding and not exerting myself too much, I can turn the o2 concentrator off for periods of time. I can also do short charges of the Seg wherever I can find an outlet.

Jim

15. Jon Scanlan

We will be in Mexico heading to Vegas on the first day of the show thats why I suggested the second day. Phone calls are a bit tough for me as the call has to go from Vegas to New Zealand then back to Vegas Lots of dollars

16. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

You can download an app for the show which includes a floor plan. Personally I like the meal meting. The hotels give a voucher for the buffet...or maybe somewhere closer to the action? CFI certification area might be good, even without food.

17. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I was thinking maybe make it easy for everyone. Meet at the main entrance into the hall main floor at a given time. Just an idea.

:old:

Daris

18. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

Elmer is the &#*%, Enjoy jim:D

19. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Its a long walk or ride down that rough slate hall to the show there. When I was there last, I saw more than one shoe lose a heal. Compared to the Sands, its longer I think. I don't think I will be there but you never know. 2012 was the last time I was there, work is really slow right now so things are tight.

20. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

I also had hope of going but for FIRST time... Maybe another. Boss man says times are like he has never seen so future.... Glad I can pay the bills and hold health! Whom ever else made it happen for Jim, God bless;)