Technical Tekno Install

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by Steve Olson, May 6, 2017.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Replacing the 3d floor Tekno at our local hospital, with a different one. I've never installed anything like this before, but it's turning out good and is much easier then I thought. The majority of the inserts were pre cut, and taped in place, the small leaf's in the halls, were the inserts continues into an adjoining hallway. My help for this project, shown in 1 picture, had double bypass heart surgery a year ago, at 49 years old.
    We're doing about a 40 foot shot at a time, depending on room, nursing station and elevator location, and have 2 days per section. Demo prep, install, weld, and base. Except where the elevators are located, which have to be a done in a day, it was a very long day, lol. The first picture, is in front of the elevator, which we installed yesterday, but it shows what we are tearing out. It took us 4 days to get to that section.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Steve Olson

This was Friday. I put the borders that frame the elevator in first, and scribed the field and cross insert pieces to them. Tekno is so hard, the usual recess scriber with a pin doesn't work as well as the lino Lion does with its blade.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

That's a handsome looking floor, Steve. Nice job. Definitely worthy of the Spotlight.

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

That stuff wears like iron too.

5. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

funky design, nice work !.........did you roll the adhesive ?

Mike

6. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Great looking work good job.

7. Steve Olson

Yes, trowled, rolled, and then rolled the back of the inserts. Some of the narrow strips that were cut across the width, were/are troublesome. Let the Friday insert that goes in front of the pubic elevators, laying flat for 48 hours, even laid 3/8" UL over. Didn't help, still wasn't flat.

8. Steve Olson

Started down on the lower left, we're at the second insert to the right, in front of the public elevators.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  9. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Man!

Nice job and good looking flooring.

Steve you sure you don't want to move here to Indiana? We need more good mechanics.

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Wow!

Hope you're making a good buck on the deal. I know exactly what jobs like this take and they're about as hard technically, physically and..............stressful as they get!

For an hourly guy when we start a job like this I tell all the guys on the crew.......jokingly, sort of.......that if they had any intentions of quitting now would be the best time.

What a hassle!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steve Olson

Don't tempt me, California is wearing thin on me...

Incognito. Hospital work is different, that's for sure. But its going good. the little 9" square leaf inserts are a bit troublesome, the cut edges in the field, parallel with the width, just don't want to lay flat. The money I spent several years ago getting some quality tools, is really paying off.

12. Incognito

Hospital work.........OCCUPIED is nearly as difficult (read expensive) as it gets for resilient guys. The absolute worst from my experience is DENTIST offices. So the room is ridiculously small and dead center or roundabout so there's this ridiculous chair with so many pipes and wires running through it that.................

Hell, you know this, right? So if someone calls me or asks me to do a dental office "on the side" (non-union/piecework) my phone and Email suddenly go dead-------Incognito suddenly becomes Incommunicado

https://www.google.com/search?q=incommunicado&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steve Olson

I did the Dental clinic a couple years ago, huge, and state of the art. The chairs were a pain, but the shots fell to where I just had to slide them a bit side to side. The little tables that pivot around were a bigger pain, an yes, lots of hoses. I was solo on that one, night work, cut the pattern shots in the lobby, moving chairs everynight, and back when done.
    Don't think I could of dealt with it at age 40, but at 60, well, that stuff doesn't bother me quite as much.

14. Steve Olson

A few things I've noticed about Tekno It's not an inlaid, so its far too easy to trim off a sliver of the color in the wear layer. The bright white border really stands out.

The welding rod is the hardest to trim of any of the products I've welded. You have to trim it while its still a little warm. I snapped a couple Mozart blades learning this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steve Olson

Team Old Guys has reached the end of the first corridor, and rounded around into the ICU area. It had gotten a lot easier, and today I did the insert into the short connecting corridor, into the second long corridor. We did the connecting corridor last Thursday-Friday, I was scratching my head, trying to figure out, how to place the insert in place, so when we laid the 30 long corridor shot, it would line up perfect. Decided it as too risky, so I just loose laid the last shot of the connecting corridor, and waited until this week to try and fit it in. Good thing. Getting the 30 ft shot down and centered and then scribing the short corridor half onto the loose laid piece from last week, was very easy, and it turned out great. Now, I'm wishing I could go back and start the whole job over. I've learned more in the last couple weeks then I have in more then a few years. In the bottom right are a few of my favorite tools 20170523_124019 (1).jpg 20170523_125911.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Incognito

I always seem to figure out how I SHOULD have done the job real close to the end. I got one of those Sinclair Linocut tools but have never really put it to use. Do you use that for seams that are getting welded? So it's quicker and cleaner than a hinge scriber and hook knife?

17. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

We had lots of problems the first time installing teknoflor, didn't seem to stick well on the ends at all. We ended up breaking the rules and switches to 1/16 th trowel and put it in wet. Voila, no problems! Learned that in a dental clinic..nightmare layout. Ended up doing about 10,000 feet of it in other buildings with no problems going in wet

18. Steve Olson

Yes, use the Lino cut for the seams, also, they have these rubber strips in the doorways, where the vinyl in the corridors meets the VCT in the patients rooms. Makes a very clean cut. My partner on the job, he never scribed anything, that tool made him a pro on the first pass.
    +1 on the 1/16th notch, using it and then rolling out the adhesive is eliminating, the majority of the curling with all the little pieced in the inserts, some are about 2" square, and those cut out of the width, are very frustrating. We've been weighting them down with some plywood between the weights and flooring. But, we have to let it flash off. Tying into the border, the adhesive is still wet, even 2 days later. This being the 3d floor laid over the substrate, seems the porosity is gone

19. Steve Olson

6 weeks in, down to last two, maybe 3 days. What I've learned? Doing inserts with skinny little 3" pieced, running across the width, is a bad idea. I've fought curl all the way thru the job, and have YET to find a good solution to the problem. WE leave the completed section at night, come back the next day, and...Cross seams are peeked up a bit, the seams across the width, anywhere, don't want to stay down. 1/16" trowel, applying glue to the backing helps, but isn't an absolute cure. I leave the cut pieces laid out flat the day before the install, and if they run across the width, they lift. This product has memory like I've never seen.
    I think this floor needs a higher room temp, and TRAFFIC.
    Today, I did one of the short connecting halls between the corridors, about 22 ft wide. 4, 6-3 cuts. Used a square notch 1/16" but dropped them in wet. Well, wetish. Still enough to get good transfer. For the most part, its all laying down pretty well, given the 22ft of width seams running down both sides, But, Im waiting until Monday to weld. I was thinking it was going to be a winner, but when I took down infection control, the first thing they did, while I humped stuff out to the van, was roll a gurney right down the length. It left tracks. Gee

20. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Jim is there a sympathy symbol?