Target Has Targeted Me for Spam

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Jim McClain, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Several years ago I found what has become my favorite bath towel. I couldn't remember where I bought them though, but I found what I think is the same towel (same brand name, same tufting pattern at the ends) on the Target website. I ordered one. Now I am being spammed to death by Target.

During the ordering process, I created an account, just like most other big online retailers. There was an option already checked to receive marketing email from them, so I unchecked it. That should be enough, but my experience has been that you usually have to click the unsubscribe link after they send you a marketing email anyway. So I did.

Then I received another marketing email several days later. That kinda pissed me off, but I clicked the unsubscribe link again. This time I was asked to enter my email address and click confirm - this was different than the first one, but still the legitimate Target website (I'm pretty good at checking these things after being online for over 2 decades). Now, one should not have to enter an address and the CanSpam Act indicates the proper way to offer the user an unsubscribe feature is with a single click only. Not all website software can do this, but the technology used in online retail software has had this ability for many years now.

I figured I was done with them now, but noooooooo. I got another marketing email from them this morning - and I haven't even received my order yet. So, I decided I would make as big a dent in their business as one little guy could do.

Do NOT Buy From Target Online!
    You Will Not Be Able to Stop Their Spam Marketing.

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I’ve ordered from them, unsubscribed with no problems. I am with you though, the more emails I receive the less I will like your company. I enjoy getting quality emails periodically from good companies that might be having a deal or new product, but spam is spam and a large retailer should know better

3. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

What I do. I have my own @dramey domain and unlimited email addresses. So if I was to create an account at Target, I give them target@dramey.com. My main email address is set up to catch anything that gets sent to @dramey so I will still get anything they send without jumping through any hoops.

Now when I start getting spammed, I know exactly who is responsible, even if they sell my info to someone else and it's also only takes me about 10 seconds to kill that email address and I will never see another email from them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

best idea ever!!!

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I was at Target couple weeks ago and said to wife let’s get towels, she said no, the better ones are at Bealls, Eco type quick dry? So now we still don’t have extra towels. We need some perfect shower towels should anyone link their suggestions. Very large seems unnecessary and drying/costs would be waste of energy.

Best Buy bombards me with emails, guess it’s working for them as they’re still in business. One day I’m gonna take em up on a 55” tv for 600$.

6. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

FYI - if you use gmail you can append your email address with a + and a label, so you can filter later. So for example:

Your normal email address: jimmclain @ gmail .com
    Just give your email as jimmclain+target @ gmail .com - it will still get to you, but then you can create filters based on that.

I also use this to know who is selling my email if I enter a contest or something. If I give me email as steve+WhateverGiveaway @ gmail - then later I start getting spam addressed to that email, I know the giveaway people sold that email address.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1