Tacky Carpet Glue

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Htguy, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Htguy

Htguy Member

I have an unusual question: which glue remains tacky and gummy for the longest time? I'm thinking in terms of decades. Thanks!

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Good question, the newer adhesives using acrylics remain tacky. Used in Capet squares, LVT/P. What brands are available to you and why do you want it to remain tacky?

3. Htguy

Htguy Member

An effective way of soundproofing a room is to make sandwich walls using two layers of drywall with a constrained elastomer layer between them. A specialty acoustic product designed for that is Green Glue. The problem is that Green Glue costs a fortune.

A professional theater and studio builder once mentioned he uses carpet glue as an effective alternative. The challenge is to find one that retains its elasticity for years. I figured who better than to ask the flooring pros! One product mentioned among home theater builders is Roberts 3095, however they are not sure about its long term effectiveness. It doesn't have to be a carpet glue specifically, any glue recommendation is appreciated!

4. Mike Antonetti

Dri-Tac and Taylor are good brands, not sure of type or performance and I’ve only called (Taylor)Tech a few times but very helpful, even their wood adhesive stays tacky, maybe more filler in it to build thicker.

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I was thinking wood glue as well for its ability to hold the wood through seasonal expansions. Don’t know how much green glue is but wood glue is expensive.

6. Htguy

Htguy Member

Thanks for the tips! Is there any brand of glue you're seen to be still elastic years later when carpet or vinyl tile is removed?

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I don't know about some of these other guys, but when I removed flooring, I was usually not the one who installed it in the first place. I had no way of knowing what brand was used.

8. Htguy

Htguy Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!

9. Mike Antonetti

You’re glueing two layers of drywall together? So it’s paper/wood adhesive with antimicrobials. Carpet is breathable, the adhesive has more filler(clay) for build. When cleaned with chemicals I’m sure that breaks down carpet adhesive due to chemicals reaching adhesive through backing.

Adhesive removal is one of our concerns when switching products, say from roll carpet to carpet squares. Even LVT/P removal leaves tackiness behind and in order to work on top of it and even clean chunks it requires removal, some here ask questions how to get it gone. We developed a method that works ok, but not to speed of satisfaction.

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The older TYPES of adhesives were solvent based what we called "multi-purpose" adhesives and the premium grades of those spread over substrates absent alkalinity or moisture remained tacky for a very, very long time.

Bigelow Broadlock was famous for being ridiculously tough to remove decades later. Costs our local school districts a small fortune because ALL the qualified bidders know what's up and it's going to cost a ton to get the old carpet out.

Modern environmental and OSHA concerns have dramatically changed the formulas disallowing the solvents that allowed for the heavy petrochemical formulas to be applied to virtually PERMANENTLY BOND carpet, vinyl and VCT. I know this becuase our trowels used to be a bitch to clean both immediately and if we every failed to clean them. NOWADAYS? Cleans off lickety split with warm soapy water and once dried it becomes brittle fairly rapidly and scrapes right off with a razor.

So my advice is to examine Plan B. I don't think your concept of the "elastomeric" properties of flooring glue applies.

What's wrong with silicone or elastomeric caulk?

11. Mike Antonetti

Silane based wood flooring adhesive has acoustical properties. Some of them tout sound deadening.

12. Htguy

Htguy Member

Thanks for the knowledgeable advise. Much appreciated!!

13. Mike Antonetti

Only thing I get concerned about is moisture vapor migration and possibility of trapping moisture