Tackstrip on concrete short nail wins

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by RKB Install, Mar 2, 2014.

1. RKB Install

RKB Install Pro Member

I was installing tackstrip on concrete the other day and I don't like the long nails that come with the strip. They are usually not straight so of course the result is a failed nailing, and they are too long which makes the concrete crack and another failed nailing. I've been using a short concrete stub nail either 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch which work much better. Hopefully this info. will get back to the tackstrip companies and they will switch to a shorter nail.

2. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

This forum has no association with any tackstrip companies. If you want tackstrip with 5/8th inch nails in them, you can purchase them that way. Years ago we got sent a shipment of them by mistake. They do nail better than the longer ones. Here is a link to the shorter nails in a box of tackstrip. Halex 1" Extra-Wide Carpet Tack Strip, 5/8" x 10 Ga. Concrete Nail (400 LF/Carton) | Tools4Flooring.com

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You sure you didn't get a box that had nail for acoustical concrete in it? How long were the nails?

:old:

Daris

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

The only concrete tackstrip I have seen has 5/8'' nails.

5. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I've never seen 5/8 come in strip. It must be a regional thing?

I agree with RKB, 5/8 should be standard. I've always wondered why they weren't. Probably a fraction of a cent more expensive per nail...

The only thing I use 1/2" on anymore is metal directly on concrete. They just don't hold a stretch good enough, I'd rather glue.

6. polestretch

I always have a hard time trying to hold a 5/8ths nail and try to hit it at the same time. My fingers are too fat!:rolleyes: Years ago I had a small tool that held the nail for you. The last tool one I got was 3/4 of an inch thick and did me no good to try and nail a 5/8ths nail with it.

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

This always worked for me.

Roberts 10-151 Nail Driving Bar | Tools4Flooring.com

8. polestretch

9. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Most of the prenailed concrete gripper we have ever seen here in Canada comes with 5/8ths nails. Our favourite product us out of Alberta called Rite-Grip ~ it comes with actual Roberts concrete nails. You guys mystify me, we both manually nail concrete gripper, adding nails to reinforce. No big deal. If the concrete is particularly nasty, we use stubbies to reinforce. There is certainly a technique to the strike, but we don't have a difficult time of it.

Deb

10. RKB Install

RKB Install Pro Member

Yes stubbies , the little 1/2 inch concrete nail I think you are referring to, are great. I use them with a stand up concrete nailer with magnetic tip which will hold that little nail for me. Gundlach 870 Concrete Nail Driver | Tools4Flooring.com

11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Same here, I have never drilled for anything other than metals.

12. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I'll get the strip in with whatever nails are needed. It can be a real pain. I can't hold a stubbie with my fat fingers either. This is what I use.

Crain Magnetic Tack Holder | Jon-Don

13. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

Concrete here ranges from hard to nuh uh, ain't gonna happen. It tends to lean towards the latter more often than not. On the bright side it is fairly rare as the vast majority of everything that isn't a basement or commercial is wood.

I am fortunate that I got a few years practice in California before I moved out here. Still the first couple times I ran in to concrete I couldn't believe how hard it was compared to I what I was used to. I don't know if the locals ever do get used to it. I can't remember the last rip up I did on concrete where I didn't have to renail all the strip.

14. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

No other method or tool will ever beat a hammer for quickness when installing concrete tackless. A special feel travels down the hammer and into your hand, you also develop the sound a nail makes when setting itself into the slab. Once this is mastered its hard to stop. I also found that starting
    the nail on a slight angle( head of the nail facing the wall ) helps drive the nail clean.

However, you must go thru a learning curve and that takes time and you must be one of the few, who for some reason, have amazing bodies built to last. ( Deb + Dave :cool: :D )

I developed into a concrete nailing machine, but, for me, long term, it wasn't the best way to accomplish the task. For one, I found myself running around like a crazy person :eek: as the helpers couldn't fasten the tackless properly. Secondly, quite simply, the constant pounding / vibrations took its toll on the wrist. :( .........That's why ! the hammer drill and Aluminum drives are my work horse for installing and re-inforcing concrete tackless and metals......:cool:

Mike

15. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Why can't an air powered rod pound the nails down, like Kyle recommends the handheld standup driver tool, doing the same thing but attached to a nail gun type applicator.

16. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

I use this Gundlach 870 Concrete Nail Driver | Tools4Flooring.com Just as fast as hammer once mastered. Can be tricky to master but once done skys the limit. I learned to use this because of my elbow. I can swing a hammer no problem, still have to in small confined places but I feel great using driver over all day swing with hammer. 5/8 nail is perfect but hardened steel not aluminum IMO. I also carry any thing from a stub to 1'' because not all concrete being created equal. If I have to glue a lot because of expansion joints, I use chemrex. Small amounts D-815. Can you guys in Cali get D-815?

17. Mike Sliwinski

18. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Mike, we work hard because at the end of the day we have maintained our core strength. I have an old back injury that would put me on disability if I didn't give'er. I'm 58 this summer and don't see a light at the end of the retirement tunnel. So be it.

Deb

19. Mike Sliwinski

Sorry to hear about the old back injury Deb but glad your core is strong. I personally know one installer (58 ish ) who wakes up with no pain, Mr. un-breakable :cool:

How, if you don't mind, do you maintain the core ? and is that physical or mental core, or both ?

Unfortunately, my retirement plan will most likely be, I mean hopefully be,
    going toward the light ;) :D

I like that attitude ' so be it ' because it sends a message, no matter what happens, I'll keep trukin on.

Mike

20. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Is that from carrying your husand all these years? :confused:

:old:

Daris