Suggestions Needed: Rubber T Molding Contact Adhesive

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Ray&Paula, May 15, 2018.

1. Ray&Paula

Ray&Paula New Member

Hi, I am about to install Roppe #175 vinyl/rubber T molding with metal track as a transition between two floors. I am going to have a few mitered corners in which I would like to use a contact adhesive on the T molding joint to help keep it joined. I don't want to use this against the floor surface due to floor contraction. Roppe T molding appears to be more of a rubber product than vinyl due to feel and flexibility. Although, it's found under vinyl accessories on their site. The company really doesn't state what the actual material is (link below). I would like to know if you have any suggestions for a great clear contact adhesive I could use on the joint as well as the track area just below the joint? Thanks, Ray
    vinyl accessories – Roppe

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

most "rubber" products are vinyl anyway.. so not much worry there. I have used crazy glue in the past to hold mitres when I make them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The biggest thing I’ve found for minimizing shrinking is that you have to compression fit the reducers. Super glue is what I also use to keep my corners tight. Blue tape the reducers so the inevitable squeeze of CA adhesive doesn’t goober up the top side of your brand new reducers. I don’t bother to put any adhesive in the track itself. I’d think that’s just asking for trouble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

The product is what is termed thermoplastic rubber. True thermoset rubber cannot be extruded, it must be molded which is a slow and costly process. They add just enough SBR (Styrene-butidiene)rubber to the vinyl mixture to give it a bit of flexibility.

However, it is still, for the most part plastic. This means that 99% of the solvent based contact cements won't work long term to hold the product together. Eventually the solvents will cause a problem called "plasticizer migration". This causes the adhesive to re-emulsify and release.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ray&Paula

Ray&Paula New Member

Thanks for all the great responses!! I sincerely appreciate all your help. Ray