Suggestions for Kitchen Floor Large Dog, Over Vinyl sheeting.

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by sdeters, Dec 29, 2018.

1. sdeters

sdeters Member

I am needing to replace my kitchen floor, or put something over what I have. At the current time, I have a seam where two sheets of Vinyl is coming together. This is starting to tear up. I am good DIY, I do not want to glue, and do not want tile due to being a house with a walk out basement, I think tile will crack and move over time. This will be over OSB sub floor that has sheet Vinyl glued down. Also I have never done tile.
    I have a large Chocolate lab dog, and this is high traffic room, being a kitchen and all. The two options I am looking at is the Lifeproof Vinyl floating tiles (Or other brands) or the Bamboo flooring.
    How well does either one of these options hold up? Would you recommend one over the other? I guess the big unknown is the dog. How will this wear due to heavy traffic and the dog?
    The last hardwood floor I put in a different house got scratched really bad from our dog. It just kind of makes me sick, all the hard work then a dog scratches it. It was cheap 3/4 hardwood, but it did look nice. Just needed a good buffing and light sanding it would have been good again.
    Any other suggestions?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’d say no to Bamboo, it will still show indentions/white scratches from nails

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Bamboo is about the worst flooring option there is in my opinion. The risks outweigh the rewards.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdeters

sdeters Member

Thanks for taking the Bamboo option out of the question. Do appreciate that. The XL flooring, is this similar to the Life Proof at the Home Depot? I did some searching, does this stuff need glue around edges or can it float? I Guess that would be a question for this type of flooring. Thanks for the help once again.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It can float, cut tight, glued or not. It is good flooring.

7. sdeters

sdeters Member

Thanks, I will have to check out all of the different brand options. Life proof, The XL place mentioned above. Are there any there brands worth looking into? Thanks again. Feel better about this choice of flooring.

8. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

While you're checking things out, why not check out a reputable/reliable local flooring shop in your area.

Big box stores will sell you anything you want. A good shop will sell you what you need with experience behind it.

Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. sdeters

sdeters Member

That is what I was planning on doing, there is a couple people who own shops, that goes to our church and will be checking them out. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

That's great!

I can guarantee you they could use your business more than a big box store & also would be 100x more helpful before, during & after the deal is done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Warehouse Carpets

Warehouse Carpets Wholesale Flooring

I would not recommend Bamboo Flooring, it is prone to scratches and humidity. I would recommend a WPC, wood plastic composite vinyl, it is waterproof, pet-friendly, and very durable. And, it is available in multiple colors, textures, and patterns in a wood, metallic, marble, concrete, slate, and travertine look. Not to mention, there are different layout patterns you can choose from, too.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. JayP

JayP Pro Member

I agree with this 100%. Please stay away from life proof. The important thing to look at when searching for durable lvp is the wear layer it has. Life proofs I believe is in the 3-6mil range which is pretty low.