Sudden floor bump

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by CheddarDawg, Sep 18, 2010.

1. CheddarDawg

CheddarDawg Guest

I have discovered a sudden bump in the floor in the hallway. It cannot be seen with the eye but definitely felt with the foot. It is about the width and length of a foot and very hard. My mom is not at all concerned about it, but I can't say otherwise. It wasn't there last week.

The hall did receive very minor water damage 15yrs ago. The carpet and padding is about 3yrs old. The bathroom within the vicinity has a tub we don't generally use. I ran the water the other day for the first time in months, only for a minute.

Should I be worried about the lump or am I just worried about nothing?

2. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Does it feel like a board has sprung? Something had to happen to the sub floor as things rarely make their way under wall to wall carpet.
    any pics would be helpful if they show anything

3. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

That's a strange one. You missing any small pets?;)

For something to spring up that sudden, it would have to be one of two culprits that I can think of and that would be the subfloor popping loose from the joist or moisture related. Do you know what kind of subfloor you have, ie. plywood, OSB? OSB when wet can do that. Also, if you've gotten down and felt around it with your fingers, does it have an edge to the lump or is it rounded all around? Just some thoughts.

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Do you use any of that freshener like carpet fresh? I've seen those type of cleaners and fresheners work their way through the backing and pile up under the carpet and/or pad. It could also be that the backing latex in the back of the carpet is breaking down and piling. Then again it maybe in the floor itself.

Daris

5. CheddarDawg

CheddarDawg Guest

From my understanding they put particle board over plywood. The house was built in the 70's. I pulled up a bit of carpet at a nearby doorway, everything I saw and felt was dry. It's probably about two feet or less from the spot. The only way to notice the bump is if you step in just the right place or you completely miss it. We don't use carpet freshener or anything. Though an animal may have peed there some months back, like all the way back in January. Could the carpet fall apart after only 3yrs? I forgot to mention we replaced our dryer Tuesday. Maybe the weight caused the bump...?

6. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

Cheddar,
    If you join (no cost or obligation) your posts will post sooner instead of awaiting approval.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010
  7. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

If it is P/B under there, I don't think one pee would do that. It would have to be a repeated offense to puff it up like that.

The truth is under there. :)

8. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

Is it more of a wrinkle ? ...... or a bump or hard spot?

9. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

Pull the cpt back and take a look.

10. CheddarDawg

CheddarDawg Guest

I cut a slit into the carpet over the bump. Nothing is wet, not the padding, carpet or particle board. It did smell somewhat though so maybe one of the pets is peeing there without being caught...But would that make a hard lump? It's smooth, no rough edges.

11. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

can you see the bump visually? Is it thin but longer? If so what your describing "could" be a wrinkle/bubble and the cpt would need to be restrectched
    and yes if something heavy was dragged it certainly could have caused a bubble

12. CheddarDawg

CheddarDawg Guest

The bump is definitely in the wood, not the carpet. Could something be pushing the particle board up in that small spot?

13. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

Probably moisture.

14. CheddarDawg

CheddarDawg Guest

Should I be worried if nothing is wet?

15. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

GHOSTS!!! I know there has to be one in every crowd.

Is there a laundry or bath in the near vicinity? Water will follow a joist and come out in the easiest spot like electricity.

Daris

16. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

Sorry but we really are blind w/o pictures.

17. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And sometimes with them!:D

18. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

And only registered members can post pictures. I think this is the longest topic we've ever had that the original poster didn't register. It could be a way to show their appreciation for the help and support they receive (hint, hint).

:D

19. CheddarDawg

CheddarDawg Guest

I can't take pictures. As I stated, you can't see it when you look at the carpet, only when you step on it. And pulling up the carpet to get pictures would piss off my mother and that is not something I want to do.

If it was moisture and it soaked the plywood enough to cause it to bubble, wouldn't that mean it was moist enough to soak through the particle board?

Could something have gotten into the floor like a mouse or....? Though I suppose that would not create a hard lump.

Yes, the bump is between the bathroom and the laundry room. I have pulled up a tiny bit of carpet (enough to go unnoticed) and there is no water/moisture in either area.

I'm beginning to think this may have been caused by my using the tub for that minute, but would that be possible? It's almost like something is forcing the particle board up.

20. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If Mom is the boss and she is not worried about it!!!

Let sleeping dogs...................SLEEP!!;)

Without pics or more information it is difficult to give any opinion or advice.:)

We do appreciate your asking!!