Suction-Only Vacuum Recommendations

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Susan11, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Susan11

Susan11 New Member

I recently purchased new carpet throughout the house - Mohawk silk smartstrand which is medium-high pile. We triled our old vacuum (Hoover, on highest level setting 5, it goes from bare floor to 5) on a scrap piece and it tore up the carpet leaving it extremely frayed. We were told by Mohawk to use a suction-only vacuum. I need good recommendations. I have looked at Kenmore canister vacuums, it seems like they have the option to turn off the beater brush, but not suction only? I don't want those tough bristles to still be rubbing on that brand new carpet for it to look frayed in a few months! Is there such a thing as 'suction only' that works really well? We are not taking any chances with a vacuum set on a 'high pile' setting, that didn't work before. I will pay for a nice vacuum: I need it to have the BEST suction possible (we have a dog), and not have a spinning brush with bristles. PLEASE send recommendations for exact vacuum name and model #.
    Thanks you flooring experts or those of you that have had a similar experience!!!! :)

2. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My first thought for a suction only vacuum was a shop vac. Good amount of suction and can be easy on the pocket book besides. Also works good for cleaning out the car. Just my thoughts.

Daris

4. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

My Craftsman will pull a slight "tent" in the tightest of carpets there is that much suction. It is a little bulky though.

I hesitate to use the "D" word, but, oh well...You could buy a Dyson and remove the brush entirely. I am very impressed with the suction of the Dyson vacs! And the beater is very easy to remove and replace.

5. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

Susan, the request for a suction only vacuum is not as tough as it seems. Even a Dyson vacuum switched to the "hard floor" setting will qualify. What is important is to not have a rotating roller/brush running. It can be there but would need to be turned on or off as needed. Older vacuums can be made proper with the removal of the base plate, removal of the rubber belt that powers the roller/brush and the replacement of the base plate. Lots of newer vacuums allow for the turning off of the roller/brush. Yes a shop vac would work but it's not really what most home owners want to use. Baicially any vacuum that can be made to not have a rotating roller/brush by either removing the power belt or by flipping an ON/OFF switch will work. You just do not want a rotating roller/brush to card out the heat set twist in the yarn.

6. Susan11

Susan11 New Member

Thanks for all the responses! We have been using our shop vac until we purchase a decent vacuum. My husband has to do it because it's NOT the easiest thing in the world to push/pull on thick carpet, having to bend way over the whole time...not something I want to have to do when I vacuum 2x/week! Plus, the emissions are horrible!

We tried numerous types at the store the other day...it pretty much seemed like as soon as we turned off the beater bar and held our hand under the vacuum the amount of suction was minimal and it made the vacuum difficult to propel without the beater bar on.

I think we're just stuck in the middle and need to deal with the fact of having slightly dirty carpet AFTER getting a workout from vacuuming everytime, or just turn the darn brush on at the highest setting and accept the fact that our new carpet is going to become frayed eventually. We do need the brush to turn off when the vacuum is standing up straight however, it's having it sit in one place for a brief time that would RUIN the carpet in a heartbeat! If we keep it moving at a good speed = less damage to carpet.

If we choose the later, now we need to find a good quality vacuum that goes up high for high pile carpet (some you can actually see move up in the air and some don't appear to move at all when changing the carpet length setting), if there is such a thing (softer bristles)...forgot which brands, but some were softer than others when we went into Sears. And good on emisions/HEPA filter preferrable!

Any opinions? We've looked at the Dyson animal (older model on sale for $350, Miele for $430, Kenmore canister around $370.

Thanks again! Can't wait to be done with this vacuum dilemma! :D

Susan

7. Prepman

Prepman Pro Member

My girl friend has a small Oreck that she bought for about a hundred bucks. It has good suction and a plain nozzle. It is a compact canister vacuum.

8. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

It is probably way too expensive for your needs, but the absolute best vaccuum made is the NSS Pig.....It runs about $1500, but is worth every penny. Makes a Dyson look like a toy. But it is a heavy duty commercial vac. They are used on almost every commercial job I have ever been on. Let's put it this way... I just installed about 3000 sq ft of black and grey carpet tile prior to the sheetrock being taped and sanded, ceiling tile was being installed and about 6 other trades in the area. The carpet was literally coverd with a 1/4 inch of solid sheetrock dust, ceiling tile debris, electrical scraps and everything you could imagine. The laborer had the area looking like new in under 20 minutes with this vaccuum....
    I just ordered one for myself. They are simply amazing,,,

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Like this one? NSS Pig
    I've been looking at the CDLarue vacuums at WOC for years wanting to get one. A little spendy.

10. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

That's it...It is an absolute monster