Substrate temp

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by PIJRamon, Dec 28, 2017.

1. PIJRamon

PIJRamon New Member

Hello,

I'm using Henry 345 to level joints and fasteners in wood subfloor. This leveler and others list 50 F minimum temperature. How critical is this? I've got 35-40 air temp below and 65 air temp in the room that I'm working in...

Linoleum tiles going on after subfloor prep.

Thanks for any help

2. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Pretty critical, subfloor temps will typically be about 7-10 degrees F less than ambient conditions. This could be worse since you have a cold space below.

The colder the subfloor, the longer it will take the patch to cure and it could effect the overall installation. Lino is much more susceptible to moisture than vinyl. Due to the cold subfloor the patch might appear dry on the outside and be soft on the inside. This could allow moisture to continue to leach into your adhesive and/or the backing of the product until it fully cures. This will also effect the open time on your adhesive significantly as well.

You need to get the temperatures up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Turn the heat/thermostat up to 78 degree until the substrate temperature reaches 72 degree. Leave the thermostat set to whatever air/room temperatures give you NO LESS than 68 degree susbstrate temperarture and leave it there for 24 hours BEFORE beginning any installation procedures and 24 hours after all installation procedures are complete.

It's idiotic to try to install such temperature sensitive products as plastics (vinyl), rubber, linoleum, epoxy or wood flooring in less than optimum conditions. You are begging for hassles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Foolish, maybe, but really... idiotic? Is it possible to be a little less insulting, while still maintaining your no-more-mister-nice-guy persona?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

You’re saying outside air is 40 degrees and inside Home is 65? What’s the story a crawl space? No insulation underneath? I like laser thermometers, point and read. Good question though, I guess I’ve been somewhat near cold temps for installing, haven’t went in deep on the cold side much.

I suppose there are cold temperature patches, we use to use cold setting epoxy for warehouse freezers at negative 10. So what cold patches are available out there for installers running into less than ideal temps?

6. Incognito

It's more than just foolish. But sure, there's a nicer way to put that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

• Like Like x 2
  8. Incognito

9. Mike Antonetti

True, after the conditions of being able to place patch are met, not ideal for the rest of Install.