Stupid Plumbers

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Jon Scanlan, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Went to this job a couple of weeks ago to lay vinyl planks in a domestic bathroom and found this
    FLOOR WASTE 3.jpg
    So plumber was sent back to fix
    Was told plumber had put in wrong waste again so he replaced it again so I went back yesterday to find this
    FLOOR WASTE 4.jpg
    Even though the plumber was shown what was expected
    FLOOR WASTE 2.jpg

2. Jon Scanlan

He was shown this photo of what type to get which he got right this time Pity he didnt have to flat with the concrete slab instead of half an inch too low as per photo above FLOOR WASTE.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em read the friggin instructions. :nooo:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. That is why I tend to do certain things which I do better than plumbers. Other days Removal the wax ring wasn’t seated/crushed so bowl leaked under flooring. Gas line installer drilled through the drain line in wall and it’s leaking on the floor in my garage.

Hard to find a good plumber or leveler!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Oh Jon, I feel your pain. Few weeks back, i had the same thing. Plumber was to relocate the drain in a kitchen. We sent him the specs for an Altro drain kit, clamp down. Plumber shows up, somehow i have to break out the concrete with MY jack hammer and then he shows up with a 4" brass standard drain. Uh.... that isn't right.
    After much pissing and moaning we roll with it because is the 11th hour and what can you do. Then i had to mortar the drain in because well somehow that isnt the plumbers job either.
    Next time, why even get a plumber.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Exactly!! Might as well charge accordingly & do it the way you want/need it.

9/10 you will loose money and/or time monkeying around with plumber's. Its easier to just do it your damn self & make a buck doing it (if you're capable & have the time).

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

I would tell them and just do the flooring. Let the plumber deal with it after.

8. Jon Scanlan

It doesnt work that way here. You touch it You own it plus lino layers here do not have the tools, glues etc for plumbing
    This will be costing the plumber a fortune as I cant see how they are going to get the correct height after the plumbers took to the existing hole at some stage with a jack hammer To me all he had to do was grind a little of the concrete so that the plastic of the trap sat flat then join the existing waste pipe which was set way to low originally
    I actually laid another bathroom while I was there this time so all was not lost

9. Jon Scanlan

Went back today
    What do you think of the way the plumber set up the waste?
    Would you be happy if it was your place?
    FLOOR WASTE3.jpg He was told to get the "grate" parallel to the wall

10. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

We have the same problems here doing epoxy or tile the drains are all crooked
    Or the drain tops are off set I try to explain it but no one will listen at times
    Till the floor goes in then it’s like we have a problem now.....

11. Wow I put screws in outlet plates either horizontal or vertical. Detail is off the radar with them let alone trying to coordinate a color making it less of the grand focal point.

12. I have been retired for 10 years now and it's nice to know nothing has changed. I guess it never will. Floor guy gets to do everyone else's job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Cant get it correct beforehand and cant get paid to fix it afterwards. At least nowadays the sleazy idiots have to face Email and timestamped, high resolution photos. I get those off before I offload my tools so either my boss or the customer have to swallow that shit sandwich..........

small bites or one big gulp?

Their problem, not mine

14. What's irritating is the fact that the job is scheduled for that day and you loaded up your truck with materials and supplies and you get there and you can't do the work. The plumber isn't going to pay you for your time, you end up spinning your wheels for nothing. It's very irritating, you wasted a day if you're on a schedule. No one wants to start a job at noon time when it takes 8 hours to do a job. I didn't like working beyond 5 pm most days, it was time to go home, especially if you left your house at 7:30 in the morning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Jon Scanlan

I managed to get paid every time I went there as I did another area
    Now if they do not like the way the grate looks the plumber WILL be paying to maybe replace that bathroom as the planks are on a smoothing compound which comes off the floor when lifting the planks even with heat

• Like Like x 1