Stretching carpet with a kicker, mini or crabjack

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by ortiz34, Jun 4, 2012.

1. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Hey! My guys get paid $5.50 yd to kick in carpet along with a mini jack (nicknamed a power stretcher :ohno:)

But hey "been doing this 30 years :eh:" is the standard

2. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Then you are not annoying me!:D

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

When I worked commercial workroom in the 70's that is how it was done. Many thousands of yards were put in with the mini or crabjack. Funny thing was is there were no call backs for restretches. If done right I think the little guy can get as much stretch as the poles-maybe.

Daris

4. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

I will disagree with you Daris. We used to put 4 extra nails in the tack strip where we would stretch, and literally rip the tackless out of the floor, and still go back for a restretch! Give me a power stretcher any day of the week.

5. Daris Mulkin

We renailed between each nail. But been there. We also used the mini in conjunction with the power stretcher to help bring it up on long stretches.

Daris

6. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

The problem with the mini 'crab type' stretchers is the installer still beats the crap out of their knee. Stretch or no stretch, how smart is that? Ever seen an old knee kicking installer? That's a might high price to pay for stubbornness, ignorance or both.

Dobby

7. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

I did the crab thing for a couple years, while it has its uses it is inferior to a power stretcher in all but size and weight.

Once I finally got it through my head that a real stretcher was quicker (by the time you back up the strip), easier on the body and did a better job. The crab was retired to a life of pattern matching.

8. cobravenom

cobravenom Pro Member

My brother uses the tail attachment for everything upstairs and it kills me! I usually do the nailing and put nails in between every nail on the wall I'm stretching to. I also renail the walls I stretch away from but only about half as many unless it's chipboard. Then when I'm getting seams ready downstairs I hear that dang thing up there and get the chills! I use the power stretcher for everything including any closet I can fit the head and a board in! I've never been impressed with the crab stretcher and figure it's only use would be for patterns and possibly a restretch with a grand piano or some piece of antique furniture needing to stay in place. I am sure it could be handy but seems inferior to a pole stretcher in most scenarios.

9. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

As Pole has stated we use a pole stretcher for everything....but that does not mean we have had ZERO restretches since switching but certainly much much less then using mini. But then again the mini has NEVER moved a wall, put dent or hole in drywall or popped nails in the baseboard!!!:confused:

10. ortiz34

these same guys still don't think/do/or believe thermo sealing is easier and more effective

This board is great, however it REALLY brings out the incompetence and unwillingness to adapt to new methods to the people around me

11. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

So my question is, why do you continue to use this installer when you know he is not following the standards?

12. ortiz34

Don't get me going Fuddy! :cool:

13. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

I've never had a restretch callback on my guys who powerstretch. Unless it was a carpet defect. There has been a time or two where the carpet grew, and grew. They'd go to restretch, get several inches, then go back for more wrinkles, definite defect.

Tia

14. Daris Mulkin

The store I worked for had a job where it grew and grew. We had a yearly appointment for restretches. After 3 years of this they had it inspected and the blame was put on me for not using a power stretcher. I din't do the intial install. I told the inspector if he would have looked at the register holes he would have known better. This inspector and I knocked heads more than once and I proved him wrong each time.

Daris

15. ortiz34

Same thing, less the inspector. Was a Gulistan Durabac piece. Condo, precast concrete and it just kept growing. We stretched it 3 times and finally replaced it via good faith from the mill.

16. cobravenom

cobravenom Pro Member

We did a job about three or four years ago. My best friend and I were working out of a store then and power stretched everything including closets. We did the job for an old woman and remember it well because of her feistiness! Lol anyways about a month ago Dad gets a call and we go to this house for a restretch. There are wrinkles everywhere and Dad swears up and down the original installers must have hacked it in with kickers! I got over two inches of carpet up the walls in drop rooms. Strip was all good and seams all held strong. It's a nice soft back nylon frieze but I know we stretched it in tightly! I am assuming it is a defect as this has never happened on our jobs and we've never had a restretch callback.

17. FlooringGirl

I've seen mill testing in recent years where they can actually determine if a stretcher was, in fact, used or not. In those particular wrinkling cases, it had not been, some lame guys we unfortunately chose to use at some point. The teeth marks are evident, if a stretcher was used.

Tia

18. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

Not if one uses a cotton head.

19. FlooringGirl

Is that common??

Tia

20. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

It has nothing to do with the head of he stretcher.

The teeth marks are evident on the back of the carpet from the pins in the tackless. When a power stretcher is used the pin holes are elongated as the tension of the stretch is relaxed and the carpet anchors onto the pins. When a knee kicker is used there is no elongation of the pin holes.

Dobby