Sticky-Oily New Carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Baker1976, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Baker1976

Baker1976 Member

Hi Folks - I need some help here and wanted to get feedback. I purchased Dreamweaver Extraordinary II Nylon 50oz carpet a few months ago. The first problem was the pile height was off in a few rooms and the installers came and fixed it. Then the next problem is that the carpet is not cleaning well and staying all matted down and the dealer said that they are going to replace the carpet in three rooms. Well, this weekend I was cleaning up a little spilled water on the carpet and I noticed this sticky/oily residue on my hand. Then I went to other rooms and lightly rubbed my hand across the top of the carpet and it leaves a sticky residue on my hand and this happens in every room. I am going to call the dealer but has anyone experienced this? The cost of the carpet and in my mind there shouldn't be any sticky or oiliness. Also, maybe that's why I am having this cleaning issue with the carpet and the fibers all matted. I appreciate any help or advice...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm just about willing to bet what you are feeling is a stain retardent product that was applied that didn't dry or to thick.

:old:

Daris

3. Baker1976

Baker1976 Member

Thanks. Could be that. I did read about spin finish residue being left on the carpet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Without actually testing my first impression would be Spin Finish. Spin finish is a lubricant that is used during the extrusion of the filaments . There is a field test that can be conducted by a qualified inspector or send a sample to a lab for testing

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Baker1976

Baker1976 Member

Thanks for the reply. I am going to send a sample in. If they can’t feel it like I can on my hand then they will send it for testing. So weird and not normal. Very unfortunate! I will reply when I know more. If it does get replaced we will probably go with a different style.

Chris do you know the long term effects on the carpet with spin finish? Is the carpet damaged by this? Thanks!

6. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

It is possible at times for it to be taken care of by Steam cleaning it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I wonder if it’s the stain repellant versus some kind of “oil” during the extrusion process? Not that familiar in the machinery in the production process.

If it were not “matting” down per say, and just a residue, think I’d settle for 3 free cleanings by hot water extraction from a well qualified and high quality equipment process. “Just me of course” others opinion are different, also you had pile height problems Im just not sure of how they’re running operations at the manufacturing facility. I’d have to visit to ascertain confidence and talk to the CEO.

8. Baker1976

Baker1976 Member

They are going to replace the carpet in the house. What a mess to go through again! I will be getting a different Dreamweaver carpet. What does anyone recommend for a tight carpet so it doesn’t stain easy and dirt won’t quickly enter? Thanks!

9. Kb_yeatts

Kb_yeatts New Member

Baker1976, thank you for this conversation. I just had DreamWeaver carpet installed and am noticing the same thing. The carpet feels sticky. Can you tell me...what made the manufacturer decide to replace the entire carpet? Did they test the 'stickiness'? I've been very disappointed in this carpet and we've only had it for a day. The pile height is very low (which I wanted because I didn't want to deal with matting), but it's so thin that I can feel every imperfection on the sub floor. It's pretty frustrating to say the least. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

10. Baker1976

Baker1976 Member

Did you get Nylon or Poly? In the first post it explains all the problems. First a rep came out and looked at the pile height difference and the stains that were not coming out, so they were going to replace a few rooms with issues. Then the sticky problem happened. I called Dreamweaver and talked to the claims department. I had to take a piece to the company I bought it from and they mailed it to Dreamweaver which in turn tested the carpet for the issue and said there was an issue. I got with the dealer and Dreamweaver agreed to replace the carpet or go with a different style. There were numerous issues. Sorry you are dealing with it.

Did you get thick padding underneath? What’s the face weight? High density 3500 or higher is good and face weight of 40 or more is good too. Short right pile, good face weight, high density and you should be in good shape.

Both companies have very helpful so far. It is just getting a new carpet picked and installed, which is a lot of work to do at our house.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  11. Kb_yeatts

Kb_yeatts New Member

Baker1976 - thank you for the details. I should have been more specific. I was curious if they decided to replace the entire carpet solely because of the 'stickiness' or the combination of all the problems as you listed in the first post. It sounds like it was the combination of everything.
    I purchased the 100% solution dyed Nylon (Structure is the name). I already have one stain that is not coming out also. Strange.
    I got an 8lb pad. It's only 3/8s...which is a whole other issue because now with the thin pad and low profile carpet, my carpet sits lower than my baseboard. I can't decide if that's my fault or the salesman for not mentioning that when he was in my house since that's his area of expertise.
    I honestly to know the face weight or density. It's not listed on their website.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Too high hanging the base is the carpenters that built your house problem.

13. Daris Mulkin

The thickness of the pad has no bearing on the base board as the tackless that goes next to it is only 1/4 inch. Thickness of the carpet may have made a difference. Here in Michigan the carpenters use a piece of the base for a guide on how high to raise it.

Daris

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Do you mean a piece of the carpet?

15. Baker1976

Baker1976 Member

It is just a weird issue. I would get the company you bought it from out there. Call Dreamweaver yourself and tell them. I told the installers and Dreamweaver the carpet was sticky in every room. It was and it was on the carpet I had left over from installation which I sent a sample to Dreamweaver. Talk to the claims department at Dreamweaver.

16. Daris Mulkin

No they set a small piece of base on the floor for the thickness off the floor. The base piece is laying down on its side not up on edge. So it is up maybe 3/8" off the floor. Sometimes when there is a gap it is an installer problem because he set the tackless back to far from the wall. The thinner the carpet the closer it goes.
    I never did like the base off the floor. It defeats the purpose of the tackless as it is no longer a locking mechanism like it is designed to do. Pinch the carpet to the base or wall. But I'm old and don't always like the new ways.

Daris

17. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Oh, okay, I get it. I knew some of my builders used scrap wood, but hadn't considered it might be a piece of the baseboard.

Same here. Yeah, maybe we're both old. :shifty: I gave up trying to educate the builders after a while. They all did it. :(

18. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The smallest trim around here is still 5/8" thick, that would be high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Daris Mulkin

Not really, figure the stick is 1/4" needs to be kinda tight, the carpet backing is 1/8 that only leaves an 1/8 to go.

Daris

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  20. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I don’t like base being more than 1/8” off floor to allow connecting pieces to match height “when” slab is not flat.

Today demoing the base was 1/4” higher than the tile. I think there was a whole bag of grout shoved under and behind base.

On an estimate today the base was on top of tile. Customer replacing crackiling tile making noise in middle of night due to loss of bond with gluedown vinyl plank Tarkett, as other areas he’s happy with it(gaps due to shrinkage I’m not bringing up) but the retailer was there and they didn’t mention it would need “shoe” molding (my recommendation of choice) not 1/4 round. That detail no matter what is missed often and gets added on to customers bill, so much for having a solid number when all’s said and done.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1