Steel Pan poured concrete Stairs

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Mike Antonetti, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Word I got was the nosing and concrete inside the pan liner have to be flush for the inspector and then painted.

So we have to grind two sets of stairwell steps and landings. Anyone deal with the code? They’re pitched up toward the back, shouldn’t they be maybe 1/8” pitched max?

We will grind to the Contractors request of just the nosing flush. Again horrible sloppy concrete finishing work. I’m not sure of best way originally to fill, maybe a little low then self leveler? We have to grind average 1/8” down 48 steps.

2. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Perfect Specialty job for you Mike ! ...........Pictures ?

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Been seeing on linkin some polishable overlays or maybe Surecrete has a filler for that, they are in Florida.

4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’ve had to grind a few over the years to install epoxy on.

Here’s our Fl code on them

R311.7.4.3 Profile. The radius of curvature at the leading edge of the tread shall be no greater than 9/16 inch (14.3 mm). A nosing not less than 3/4 inch (19 mm) but not more than 11/4 inches (32 mm) shall be provided on stairways with solid risers. The greatest nosing projection shall not exceed the smallest nosing projection by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) between two stories, including the nosing at the level of floors and landings. Beveling of nosings shall not exceed 1/2 inch (12.7 mm). Risers shall be vertical or sloped from the underside of the leading edge of the tread at an angle not more than 30 degrees (0.51 rad) from the vertical. Open risers are permitted, provided that the opening between treads does not permit the passage of a 4-inch (102 mm) diameter sphere.

5. Mike Antonetti

This doesn’t make sense, are they talking about the radius ? Is there a lot more to that code I’ll have to look up. I saw a YouTube video about a guy screeding, not too precise. They may be using too large aggregate for precision/shallow depth.

The nosing is metal and there’s flat steel 1” in. The radius may be 1/2” at most. They poured the concrete higher than the 1” steel piece. Ithey want us to grind flush. It has random pitches toward back near riser @ 1/4” +/-

A job we should walk away from or just do what they asked, see if it passes “inspection” then if the pitch needs correction charge for the additional work.

It’s a communication issue, all parties should be present to provide the solution. I’m at the end of the communication link. I know my role as being in military and chain of command.

If I get tasked with grinding full steps down I would need a corner grinder, any sources for that? Taking down 1/4”?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I would think the steps themselves would have been built and set to code prior to pouring concrete in the pans. You didn’t build them so why would it be on you to ensure that they are to code or not aside from grinding them smooth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I would have a meeting before the job starts and something in writing that your job is only to grind them smooth not to pitch or fill in low spots

The ones we have done they are really soft like way to much water was in the mix cause I bet when they poured them no slump test was done at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

That is my concern, the hard/soft of Concrete. Our bill will state grind front flush with metal.

9. Mike Antonetti

The surface was pretty weak once the laitance was removed it got a little stronger. Not happy whoever the finisher was. Then the GC comes around and likes the look of the 1/2” aggregate. So I ground the rear of the tread somewhat, not priced to that. And they added the ground floors which was extremely hard concrete for florida. Big church addition, didn’t know this builder did them. Anyway here’s some pics, mind I’m not a concrete polisher or terrazzo guy.(price wise)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks like they had an overlay on them in the first pics. Looks good.

11. Mike Antonetti

Wasn’t much light in the stairwell, asked electrician said he’s not sure of ceiling yet. But he got us power to run equipment which was excellent I didn’t have to run generators. Worked with the electrician on other jobs, small Asian guy on the big commercial jobs, hard to understand what he’s saying. Here’s the LED light I worked with each step.

Attached Files: