Stair pre-carpeting question....

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Chris Adis, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Chris Adis

Chris Adis New Member

Finishing installing some new stair skirt and baseboard on my stairs. I have the landing baseboard 1/2' off the floor so the carpet can be tucked. My question is about the first landing stair going up. The stair protrudes from the wall and previously they carpeted the side exposed edge of the stair. Installing my molding i'm not sure if I should leave a gap with my baseboard so they can tuck the carpet on the edge of the stair or butt the baseboard right against the stair? See attached pictures. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I know I would love you forever if you left it out about 3/16 of an inch but that is just me. No problem to go tight to it either, carpet fitter can make it work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

This concerns me. Half a foot??? Even if that was a typo and you meant half an inch, that's too much. Max 3/8", depending on the carpet pile. If it's a short nap, then keep it no more than quarter-inch - at the most anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Adis

Chris Adis New Member

Sorry for the late reply! Been away for work.
    Yes..I meant 1/2". I did 1/2" due to some web sites suggesting that height. Also, I measured the previous baseboard and those were at 1/2". You have me freaked out now that I went too high. Bummer. I hope it still looks good after I get carpet installed. I guess I'm going to have to talk the wife into a higher pile carpet or a thicker pad? Bummed....
    Thanks for the 3/16" gap suggestion. I plan to do that.

Bummed about my baseboard height......wish I would have found these forums sooner.

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

you will probably be fine, just advise your installer and he can hopefully pull the tack strip in nice and close and all well that ends well. for the size of a whole landing if it is that off they might be nice enough to shim it up if they have to. Don't sweat the small stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

The first step on stairs is usually funky some way and keeps installers on their toes. Most carpet is forgiving and a good installer wouldn't look twice at that one so no worries, I've seen worse. Just like Mark Brown said.