Stainmaster SuperiorSD or Shaw Anso nylon??

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by StacieB, Apr 7, 2017.

1. StacieB

StacieB Member

Hello! First, thanks for this forum, lots of good information. We're looking to replace carpet that was installed by our builder 20 years ago. LR/DR, 4 bedrooms, upstairs hall and stairs. We're an older couple, no young kids at home, no pets. Durability is most important to us as we plan to stay in our home and don't want to do this again! We're interested in nylon only, texture style in a tan color. After visiting half a dozen stores, we've narrowed our choice to two that are similarly priced:

#1 Lowe's Pedigree (made by Coronet/Beaulieu)
    Stainmaster SuperiorSD nylon 6.6
    face weight 60
    density 3784
    tuft twist 6.4
    pile height .57
    Actionbac backing
    25 year warranty

#2 Shaw Gold Texture (made by Queen)
    100% Anso BCF nylon
    face weight 43.9
    density 2725
    tuft twist 6.1
    Pile height .58
    Softbac Platinum backing
    20 year warranty

We'll be using a rebound 7/16" 8lb pad with moisture barrier.

Even though we don't have pets or grandkids (yet) we're kind of attracted to the fade resistance of the SuperiorSD.
    We've read a lot of reviews trying to make a decision but there are so many good and bad reviews we don't know what to do.
    Which do you think would be a better choice for us? Why?

Thank-you in advance for your thoughts!

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Personally I would go with the Shaw product because I'm not a big fan of Beaulieu due to personel reasons.
    But they both sound like a good carpet. I would say it comes down to your budget and which one you like the best. Oh by the way good choice for using nylon.

:old:

Daris

3. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I will 2nd Daris' post re nylon and Shaw. Years ago I was working for a large distributor based out of St Lois, Mo. Rumor had that Beaulieu was in the process of picking up the Co. I was working for. Based on my personal experience as a dealer with them, I turned in my resignation, and retired early.
    Dick

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

I'd go with Shaw. I almost never have issues with their products.

5. StacieB

StacieB Member

Daris-I don't think I'll ever look at anything but nylon ever again! Made the mistake of installing Smartstrand Triexta in our family room three years ago and it looks worse than the 17-year old builder carpet it replaced. It looks stained in front of sofa, chairs. It's not a spill and we're a retired couple with no pets and are easy on our house. Had the carpet professionally cleaned and it did not help. I think that's why we're having such a hard time making a decision on this. We need about 1700 square feet this time so can't afford to get it wrong.

I'm kinda surprised about the responses re Beaulieu. I thought based on the numbers and the fade resistance the SuperiorSD might be the better choice. Would the Shaw Anso be okay re fade?. I noticed it does not offer a fade resistance guarantee, we do get some direct sunlight part of the year here (Ohio)?