Stainmaster carpet advice

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Chem103, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

I am considering a Tuftex carpet from Shaw made of Luxerell BCF nylon, a Stainmaster Active Family carpet. I have been reading everything I can about carpet for nearly three weeks. I am hoping some of you using this forum actually have a similar carpet or have experience with stainmaster carpets (I.e. Know how they actually perform). I am fairly confident that the fiber will hold up as it is 6.6 nylon. My biggest concern is about stains. I have read many negative reviews about everyday stains like food, coffee, wine, etc. not coming out of Stainmaster carpet and that the carpets simply look "grimey" with spots everywhere. (I know some people complaining have Berber style and probably chose lighter colors.) My carpet is a fairly dense texture with .63 pile height in a dark beige/taupe color. I am about to spend over $9000 and just hope I am making a good decision. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

Nylon carpet will give excellent durability and traffic resistance. Stain resistance is not as good as other fibers, but there are always tradeoffs. You have to consider what YOUR needs are. In other words, if you don't tend to stain your current carpet much, then stains shouldn't be a major problem.If you can get to a stain before it has dried and set in the carpet, you can minimize the damage. If stains are a major concern, then a triexta yarn (Mohawk SmartStrand) may be a better option.

3. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

Decided on the stainmaster carpet in a dark beige/light brown. About the color of dried dirt and my coffee. Those are our biggest culprits. Hope it will at least hide most of the stains better than the lighter beige we currently have. Fingers crossed! If all else fails, in five years I will look into hardwoods for the family room areas.

4. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Pro Member

Let me please give you a little advice if I may.
    1)- If you want your carpets (and rugs, upholstery, window treatments etc.) to look new forever you must clean them BEFORE you see the dirt. If you wait until you actually see the dirt, it's too late. Not too late to clean it, but certainly too late to expect all of the soils to be removed.

2)- If you don't want stains then I also highly recommend that you don't eat, or drink on/over the carpet. Pretty simple really.

3)-Nylons are excellent in cleanability, but because they are acid dyed, the dye sites do and will except anything on the acid side as a dye. Unfortunately most everything we eat, drink and dirt is on the acid side, so be careful and have a carpet protector re-applied after a professional cleaning by a competent and qualified professional. (like me for 38 years)

Do those simple things and you will enjoy that brand new carpet for years and years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

Do most carpet cleaners that do "hot water extraction" use the same kind of stain protection after cleaning? We have always used Stanley Steemer and I honestly have no idea what the stain protection is they spray on the carpet. I have assumed it was scotchgard. Does anyone know? Are there other options besides scotchgard that are any better?

6. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Every manufacturer has their own solution. Topical ones will wash/wear off over time.

Some good discussion of R2X vs Stainmaster vs Scotchguard

Stainmaster versus R2x

• Like Like x 2
  7. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Pro Member

Most reputable, professional carpet cleaners do indeed carry with them one type of protector. Most carry either 3-M Scotch Guard, or Dupont Teflon. Both are fluorochemical and both are water based. There are many other equally good protectors as well. It's all about the quality and concentration levels OF that fluorochemical, the competency of the applicator and of course the chosen carrying agent. Personally I prefer solvent based over water based because solvent based have much better leveling and bond properties and abilities. That said however, it is unwise to spray/atomize any solvents while their are either elderly, infants/children, or pregnant woman in the home/building. So for a Pro like me, I carry both.

All said, carpet protector will wear off of carpet far sooner than the same protector will wear off of a sofa. The reasons are obvious. As for washing it off.....You would have to make an effort to wash it off. You would need to use a very high alkaline detergent, or stripping agent to successfully remove all of it. More than likely it will be blotchy. That's why it is very difficult to tint, or dye a newer, Stain Master carpet.

Hope that helps.
    OCV

• Like Like x 1