Squeaks under Luxury Vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by DVideo, Jan 29, 2017.

1. DVideo

DVideo Member

We are into our first winter in our new home and our luxury vinyl glue down floor.

Several spots in the floor have started to squeak under our feet. I notice them in high traffic areas.

Some areas I have access downstairs in unfinished portions. The OSB there seems to be attached to the floor joists fine, but I don't see much glue seepage. There is 1/4" plywood on top of the OSB and I'm wondering if the staples are in place but the plywood is moving up and down on the staples rubbing against them or something.

We are the ones who finally had Armstrong replace our snap and click after months of fighting and our house being a mess... so if it's bad news, break it to me lightly, ok? Seriously, not sure we could re-live a third time of the whole house being torn up.

1. Any way to remedy this? Would that look like the installer heating up some pieces, removing, driving some screws and replacing the pieces?

2. Is there a danger if we just live with the squeaks?

Thanks.

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

There is nothing in the LVP construction/manufacturing which will cause squeaking. Sounds like either the OSB is moving, or the 1/4" underlayment is moving and squeaking on the fasteners.

Get a large person to rock up and down in the area, you go to the basement and see if you can see movement of the OSB and joist connection. If you do repair from bottom, if no movement then pull a plank and see if the underlayment moves. if so screw it down, replace plank.

If left alone it will be annoying, but no danger to you.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

I would guess it's the osb and not the plywood

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

So you're saying there were no squeaks until now humidity is low,wood is shrinking allowing movement of wood to squeak against fasteners?

Yup- seek and destroy mission. Better I think it's a gluedown.

5. Jackreed

Jackreed jackreed Charter Member

My opinion the OSB is squeaking. If it was the underlayment and staples it would be a popping noise.

6. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

So Glad after 42 years i now Refuse residential installations ! Check you electrical panel also the static from the LVT will trip your 15 amp beakers i am sure. No doupt the General contractor is laughing if he reads this thread :( OSB ? I would have had a cow if someone put that crap in my new home for structural subfloor !

7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

OSB ? I would have had a cow if someone put that crap in my new home for structural subfloor !

I haven't seen a builder use plywood in so long. It's all OSB now.

8. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

No OSB up here for floor subfloor all plywood, Doing New construction Goberment housing this week 5.500 s/f of VCT i will snap a couple shots tomorrow all Sanded Plugged Ply exterior grade, And just finished 10.700 s/f LVP in a medical building i will snap a couple pictures of that also, but seriously we rarely see OSB up here, We refuse to do Ceramic over it even with Durock or Wonderboard screwed to it, We have a Wild humidity and Temp swing up here, Not stable at all. Also have a 15,000 MCT Marmo tile job ongoing for the last 2 months Sanded Plugged Ply also. May just be different states do different things, Kinda like we don't Remove Baseboards installing Vinyl all Pattern Scribed and No caulking allowed no Freehanding

9. DVideo

DVideo Member

Thanks as always Elmer. Will try your test. The home inspector said he didn't see much glue and they used nails not screws for the OSB.

If it is because of a gap between the joists and the OSB can one screw from underneath through the joist with the right type and length of screw? Someone told me the screw needs to be non threaded near the head and only threaded near the point.

The only other method I saw was shims between the joist and OSB and squeezing in the right glue.

My flooring guy did talk about heating up planks and removing them but expressed concern about finding the joists. We'll have to do that in some areas where the basement is finished below.

Thanks.

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

All you need to do is find one and then measure for all the others. They should be spaced 16" on center, some have gone to 24" though.

11. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

Sanded Plugged ext plywood residential housing project shown ,,no squeaks, VCT installed, Baseboards installed before VCT all scribe fit, Black Henery 130 glue, we don't use that clear junk

Attached Files:

12. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I've got issues:eek: I zoomed in looking for beer tiles.