Square or round carpet blades?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Adroit, Oct 19, 2019.

Which type of carpet blade?

1. Round

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Square

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Adroit

Adroit Pro Member

I’m a round guy since they fit into my cushion back cutter and my knife and I don’t have to have both blades. Some guys I know hate round blades.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I don't have a reason but I will die defending round blades, probably in a knife fight with a fellow with square blades...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Strange to me how anyone likes round. To me it gives the impression that it’s dull already. I like the point to get into product cutting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I really liked the square corners for when I had to back trim softbac or berber. Sharp as all get out. My newer 301 cutter takes square corner blades, the older one didn’t. I’m older now so everything gets cut with either a utility blade or a hook blade. I just don’t have a need for that level of sharpness anymore.

5. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Round for me. It's what I come up using & feel the most comfortable with.

Those damn things are sharp as all hell. Add a point on them & their lethal.

6. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

Everytime I nick myself with a round blade, I realize it would have been an 1/8 inch deeper had it been square.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Round for me. The sq. always seemed to get dull at the point faster. Could just be me.

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Originally the square were called slitter blades. To me as soon as the point dulls the blade is no good. I have take my top cutter when cutting carpet on concrete and have worn the round blde almost to the slot and it kept cutting.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mark Brown

you mean you can change top cutter blades?? I keep buying a new one when mine wear out....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Mike Mahoney

Mike Mahoney Pro Member

Square. Same reasons Mike Antonetti stated.
    Usually buy them from a distributor, but sometimes need them quick & have to purchase them at a box store.
    They both stock the Personna's, Lowe's/round & HD/square. Strange.

11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, I tried the square ones and they dull too quickly and do not fit in the top cutter. Worked with a guy who showed me using the square carpet blades on radial (rubber) tile. Worked bitchin' but I can't buy a box just for that.

Do you sharpen them on a stone?

12. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Only thing square are good for is cutting in pad

13. Adroit

Adroit Pro Member

I love it I knew this one would be controversial. Just don’t know how to top it for next week.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mark Brown

Professional Vs. Hack

Sorry, i mean
    utility knives Vs Olfa

15. Adroit

Adroit Pro Member

What is an ofla?!

16. Mark Brown

uh... i dont know :p

17. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

18. Mark Brown

i spelled it wrong Jim, then quickly edited it... then hoped to never acknowledge my error... way to ruin that for me buddy lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

We handle Personna and FloorDot blades and it's about 99% round to 1% square with regards to our sales figures. Just thought I'd share that for what it's worth.

We have one semi-retired mechanic in his 70's who still does everything with a ward knife and different ward blades depending on the product . He swears by them.

gundlach-10-5g.jpg gundlach-12-wb_1.jpg gundlach-13-wb.jpg gundlach-26-ab.jpg

20. Adroit

Adroit Pro Member

those are the same blades for the airway knife I’ve used one but didn’t see the point in special blades for a special knife that cost so much.

In Cleveland and in Pittsburgh it’s more like 50/50 square vs round.