Sound deadening 2nd floor theater

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by wraunch, Apr 9, 2013.

1. wraunch

wraunch New Member

I am finishing my 900 sq ft attic on my second floor into a theater and bedroom. The floor structure consists of 2x10 SYP joists filled with fiberglass batt insulation then covered with 4x8 sheets of 3/4" T&G OSB most of which is nailed down some of which is nailed and glued with liquid nails. A large portion of the floor was put down by the prior owner and he didn't use glue just nails.

First question is should I go over the floor he put down with deck screws to hopefully get rid of the squeaks?

Second, what should I do in addition to the current structure prior to carpeting the theater? I plan on having hardwoods in the new bedroom that is adjacent. Anything different I should do there?

Thanks for helping the N00B!

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I would add screws, subfloor screws? Not sure if they make specific, a little looking in the screw aisle and you'll know. Nails have lost mega shelf space at the box stores.
    I don't think you can do much with the sound deadening, crank it up, let the neighbors know your watching Star Wars on the big screen.

3. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

sound is done in two ways, ambient (from speakers) and impact (footsteps).

The only way to deaden impact sound is with mass. So in most buildings you do a thick rubber product under a 1+ gypsum screed. (overkill for a house)

For ambient sound you need nook's and crannies. There are any number of wall products that can be installed to deaden sound through the walls. For the floor the more fluffy carpet the better with a good thick and dense pad. AVS Forum is my preferred forum for theater items. I have about 20K posts there. http://www.avsforum.com/f/3/home-entertainment-theater-builder