Solid Oak on Laminate tiles - laymans underlayment question

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by neilm, Apr 15, 2019.

1. neilm

neilm New Member

I'm doing some rooms in my house in some reclaimed 3/4"x 2 1/2" oak, and the first room I pulled up carpet in has laminate tiles over 3/4" particle board. The oak was in its original location with L nails, so I was going to follow suit. I've read that vapor barrier superfluous, as I'm going to be punching nail holes all through-out. Can I get away with using a cheaper material? I'm currently looking at "FeltBuster GAF Synthetic Roofing Underlayment". I'm in Canada and options are limited.

Thanks. 20190415_101105[1].jpg.png 20190415_101440[1].jpg.png

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

You aren't magically in nanaimo are you.... because I have about 100 rolls of aqua bar I'm looking to unload lol

Roofing felt is fine, 15# works well enough. Those old lino tiles.... I might wanna be careful with they might be containing. Furthermore if that is particle board particle board and not at the least osb, I would look at adding a 1/2inch of plywood to give the cleats something to bite into. That's my 2 cents anyhow

• Like Like x 1
  3. neilm

neilm New Member

Qualicum Bay, actually on my way to Nanaimo Lowes right now to pickup plywood and cleats.

4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Sweet!!
    I live in qualicum bay, pm me your address if you want and how many sqft and I'll hand deliver however much aquabar you need. I recently got out of the trade and need to off load 94 rolls of it LOL
    The Floor Pro special price of $0.00 I don't even mind!!
    P.s. i realize this might seem crazy and will not be offended if you dont respond :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2