Sold my carpet tools but installer who bought them said I was selling a GEM?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by edteach, Sep 24, 2017.

1. edteach

edteach Pro Member

I was in Floor covering for over 30 years. I got out of it several years ago. I am moving so am purging my extra tools. I had a tool box full of carpet knives, Orcon, and tacless cutters but the guy who bought my stuff was all excited over the clear acrylic loop pile cutter. Its an old footless. It was a national commercial seam cutter #575. I see these going for 100 bucks is that right? Why so much? I think we paid 15 bucks for it back in the mid 90s.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I got one with a handle to cut carpet in strips for ride on machine for over 200$, the handle is solid and the bracket is 3/16" steel. Saves me well over 200$

3. edteach

edteach Pro Member

I sold a box of this and several stair tools and slap staplers and other crap for 50 bucks. I have had them for well over 20 years. Lugged them around to several states. I just don't need them so no worry's but I was shocked to see this selling for 100 bucks. I would not use it again. I only put in my own carpet and will never install loop commercial again. Thanks for the update. The price is way over valued but I know Cpt tools were sold much less than other types of tools that they were always priced higher because they were made in more limited quantities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Carpet tools are specialty tools so they are all expensive. Some of the tools are cheaper than they used to be but still too much.

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

And yet another reason that carpet should pay more.

@edteach what are you doing now? Just read an article about a retired carpet installer over seas that opened a waffle and ice cream place. Quite the change from crawling around on his knees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Carpet tools are cheap, what you guys talking about. You get them at the pawn shop after Jimmy goes on a bender one weekend and never comes back....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. edteach

edteach Pro Member

Chris, I can remember when I got into flooring back in the early 80s. My family was in the trades already. Dad was plumbing and heating uncle was electrician ect. I started in Florida where the pay was non existent. we got 1.25 a yard for carpet and 1.50 for vinyl. Nothing for pull up or furniture moving. Then I moved back home to Michigan at the beg. of the 90s when the boom started. We were getting 3.5 for carpet, 5 for vinyl, 2 bucks a foot for tile and lam. We got furniture moving fees and patching floor fees. Every move you made we got paid a different fee for. I saved and invested every dime I could. When it was slow I bought small rentals in my area and rented them out.

I can remember one installer who had a reputation for being a bit crazy, Dean, He came in one day with a mohawk hair cut. I asked WTF was that all about, He got to drinking and lost a bet. He heard me talking about a new lap top I had gotten and he said you have a computer? I said yes, he said I have a beer can collection. LOL Funny but many installers did not save or invest. My old partner was a lot like me. We were both financially responsible did not drink and for the most part got along. For a 5 year stretch we did not even take off a week end. My wife and I moved to Fla in the crash and we bought a condo to rent in Sarasota. Sold it just before Irma. Now we are selling our home in Sarasota and moving to Arkansas. We have family there and its a lot like North Michigan minus the snow.

Mark, I got my first power stretcher from a guy who was going up on charges and need to pawn anything for money. He gave my boss his PS for 15 bucks and wanted to buy it back in a month. Two months went buy and my boss sold it to me for 15 bucks. WOW was he ticked when he came back for it. I sold it years ago, it was one of those old Roberst in a steel case that weighed more than a dead preacher. Bought a crain with plastic case for the head and a bag of alum. poles.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

That's funny stuff. I used to work for a company that would supply certain tools if the guys didn't have them and darn if some of them didn't still have pawn tags on them. I have always owned all of my tools. I was amazed, and still am, when an installer shows up to work and doesn't own jack shite for tools yet they bitch that they should be the one running the job instead of me. I would tell them that if they left, the job would take me longer but I would still able to complete it. If I left, they would be dead in the water.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kwfloors

The pawn shops around here sell or try to sell stuff for too much. 20 years ago I doubled up on all my major tools on ebay but most of that stuff in too much now. Just have to shop and sometimes rarely you can get some cheap tools. Even craigslist sellers are hiking prices for junk.

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The "glass cutter" is in fact a specialty tool-----used pimarily for C&A (Tandus) glue down commercial carpet and few residential carpet guys would ever need one unless they got into HEAVY commercial installations.

You don't REALLY need a glass cutter even for the C&A. I've got three of them, all of which I got on Ebay dirt cheap. I'm going to sell one today to an apprentice for 50-60 bucks depending on what else he wants to buy.

USED residential carpet tools are ridiculously cheap online, at yard sales or swap meet because ten hundred zillion dummies try their luck at the trade and then give up or otherwise fail. They're not likely to fetch $.25 on the dollar from what they paid IF they bought them retail. That's why I tell all the apprentices to look for used tools. Basically the same applies to stuff like carpentry tools, sheet metal workers, plumbers, electricians........BASIC stuff is easy to find on the cheap if you settle for used and do a little legwork.

11. kwfloors

Its just hard to find tools that are taken care of correctly like out of the rain,snow,huricanes,etc.

12. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

We don't really have to deal with that here in the desert. Good tools can last forever. It's really noticable from when I moved here how NICE the older cars and trucks hold up compared to the places I used to live where they suffered from the snow, rain, ice and salt. Likewise, toos here left in the back of a pick-up or even on the back patio are not suffering anymore than if you brought them into your living room every night.

So that's a good thing about here.

• Like Like x 1