Smooth Edge Box Size

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Mark Brown, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Alright lads, i need to know the dimensions of a box of smooth edge. I am finishing the shelves in my van and i do not have any because i haven't done any carpet yet. Who loves me enough to trundle out to their truck, garage, van, basement... bedroom?? and get me those measurements. I got 50 inches in the length but the other two are a guess.....
    Thanks in advance

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Don’t do it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Looks like 12"x 6" x 48.5".

I love ya mark. I been busy lately & haven't had the time to come here to chop it up. Did I miss something? Thought you left the floors behind you?

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Wait, were talking about a box of tackless right?
    Also, I couldn't agree with Chris more! Doing carpet is like doing dope, once you start, people start pushing it on you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Heeeeeee’s Back! Like you!, Nate! Wake em all up!

6. Chris 45

Exactly. Next thing you know your schedule is full of carpet while someone else gets all the sweet jobs.

7. Mark Brown

Thank you very much, mostly for the box size, but also the banter LOL

I am back in the game, i just couldn't stay away and I'm kitting out my new truck (van, i hate calling them vans... sounds so rapey). So far, i have way too much space and not enough tools. I NEVER thought i would say that in my life. Sprinter makes the Econoline look like a kids toy, and the additional space has allowed me to add my floor polisher, my 12 inch mitre saw, my table saw and my hardwood nailers to my permanent kit which is amazing. Not to mention i am flush with real estate right now and do not know what i am going to fill it with.
    So tomorrow its the smooth edge hole, glue bucket grotto and garbage can alley and finish off another top shelf of which i do not know what will fill. Now however at the least i have my sizing for Smedge!!

8. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Let’s see some pics of your new rig

9. Mark Brown

alright.. off to the truck i go!!

10. Mark Brown

So i went "off to the truck" as it were and i came back with some low resolution photos so as not to overload poor Jim's memory banks with nonsense beauty shots of my truck LOL
    It is still a work in progress, and i am a utilitarian so it ain't pretty but its something. There is the whole second side to do, which will be smooth edge boxes, glue buckets and what have you.. but here we go
    Back Door1.jpg Big Van Little Van1.jpg Hatch1.jpg It use to be clean1.jpg
    Shelves1.jpg Under Back1.jpg
    Left to do1.jpg <---------------- thats the side left to do

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Mike Antonetti

U ain’t playn, too much stuff onboard? I was wondering which sprinter you had. Not sure if they’re still made as the corporate buying was rampant. Benz diesel, transmissions ok?, dual wheel or single? Nice to actually stand up in a van.

12. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

But the steering wheel is on the wrong side
    Did you get it cheap cause of this? :)
    Years ago we used to have Ford Transit vans here and we put that much stuff in them the vans could hardly get up big hills

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Mark Brown

It is a 2019 3500Xd which is the 170 wheel base duel rear wheel V6 3.0 Liter turbo diesel, high roof. I have 14 feet from my DIY bulkhead to the back doors, new line of transmissions in the 19's it is a CVT 7 speed so mileage is good. Max GVRW of 11030 pounds or 5 tonnes and a payload of 5188 LBS. It is a dream come true LOL

On tuesday i went on a 100KM jaunt to work with 1200 lbs of vinyl plank, 120 yards of PVC, 4 pails of glue, 40 yards of carpet tile, 400 feet of base, 300 lbs of patch and all my tools and the girl hardly noticed

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mark Brown

Ha *cough* Ha *cough* Ha.... *hack*

15. Chris 45

I like the set up. Last time I built shelves in my box van I had to give them a test drive for a month to see how the functionality of the shelves worked. Maybe raise this or move that. I put the heavy/ bulky, items like my saws, towards the back. Made it easier to pull them off and put them back. You’re gonna pop a roid bending over and lifting your Bosch saw all the time.

Get rid of that black case that’s standing up next to your saw and, well, you’ll just be happier. Just open the back doors and kick that shit off right there in a Denny’s parking lot or wherever you may be. Tie the cord of your seam iron to your bumper and drag that shit around town. Maybe you could even sport a ‘just divorced from carpet’ sign. Hold on to your kicker though. You never know when someone might start some shit with you.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Nice rig Mark!

17. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

What a difference in trucks. How many times I have scraped my neck or shoulders getting in and out of my Ford/Chevy/Dodge cargo van. Things I like to forget.
    Nice truck, enjoy.

18. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Why does nobody ever insulate the roof of the cargo area before starting?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mike Antonetti

The whole dam thing! Why stop there? I suppose one could insulate a box area for adhesives and temp sensitive liquids.

Then you have issues of moisture migration and trapping somewhere. Unsure of issues to even control interior temperatures as being extremely dangerous for infants/kids left in hot vehicles, it’s way overdue for unattended temperature controls inside vehicles.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  20. Mark Brown

Because I live on the west coast on Vancouver Island.... if it gets below freezing we shut the whole island down :)