Smaller sized dolphin knife?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Robert Parsons, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Robert Parsons

Robert Parsons Pro Member

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a smaller version of the dolphin knife? I've never owned one before but I recently tried a fellow installers knife and really liked the shape of but found it a bit to big to get used too.

If there is no smaller version of the dolphin knife, is there a quick opening version of this Stanley knife(currently using) 2ac84c93-df74-4274-9b5c-57273b0c4041.jpg

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Crain makes 's good one

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Robert Parsons

Robert Parsons Pro Member

Do you know the product name or maybe a link? Thanks

4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Crain 730, the hinged screw isnt technically a "quick release" but i do not find it an issue

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I agree with the size of the dolphin. It doesn’t fit too well in a small tool pouch. The Crain I use has the D ring quick open and there’s a decent for the blade that wears and holds the blade a little sloppy. I have another utility that has a hook on end where when you pull the knife that hook rests against the back part of hand increasing force. Rather well ergonomically designed but it’s on border of being too big as well, not like the foolish dolphin size.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have 2 dolphin knives and they both had their own plastic pouch that would fit in my pocket or on my belt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

Orcon is what I like better than Crain as Ken says sleeker. The detent for the blade wears and the blade wiggles a bit. Fits hand better than Crain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I like the crain better myself because it is fatter and I hang on to it better. To each his/her own.

11. Mike Antonetti

Not sure about the Dolphin knife cost but the Delphin nyf is on sale.

It is too big. I bought it used from a flooring tool supply owner and probably only made it on the jobsite once. Had to be 10-12 years ago.

Crain 727 Delphin Knife

Attached Files:

12. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Dont use the dolphin knife because it doesn’t fit in my knife pouch

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike Antonetti

My small utility knife smooth sides says gundlach I believe under the adhesive. My brother doesn’t carry a pouch anymore and ripping up carpet with the machine I let him use it to cut ends. Put my larger knife with the rounded hook end in pouch. While demoing tile yesterday he hands it to me, fell out in debris. If it’s bulky and not easily available for quick draw, it doesn’t work.

• Agree Agree x 1