SLC & Radiant Heat Flooring by Todd Groettum

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Jim McClain, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

This is a thread for discussion of the article, SLC & Radiant Heat Flooring, by Todd Groettum (tileguytodd). Your comments and questions are welcome. You may also rate the article by selecting a rating in the drop-down box above right.
    [excerpt=Todd]When installing electric radiant heated flooring, you will find that every manufacturer has slightly differing recommendations in their installation guidelines. Following the manufacturer's recommendations for installing the wires or mats is important. Following their guidelines for installing tile directly over these mats generally leads to frustration and in many cases an installation that has an inferior finish due to trying to set over a surface that is not flat, and sometimes one that has sensors that are thicker than the thinset bed you are trying to set tile into.[/excerpt]
    Please read the article here: SLC & Radiant Heat Flooring | The Floor Pro Community and join us in the discussion below.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. Tileguytodd

Tileguytodd Charter Member Published

Re: Discussion: SLC & Radiant Heat Flooring

Well, I'm not that Shy..........so heres a Picture...............And I dont quite have so much time on my hands I dont know what to do with myself............But I do spend some time giving back to the Trade that has been good to me........Other than that, Yep I wrote that mess :)

Attached Files:

3. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

Good article Todd.
    But how do you keep you tie out of the thinset?:)

4. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I read the article last night, and thought about what I was going to post, because I don't want to offend anyone, but here's my take. Forgive me....
    The article mentions pouring SLC 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch thick. Then he mentions the amount of bags needed to pour 200 sq ft 1/4" thick. What thickness do I need to pour?
    Second, as I travel my path to offend everyone, this evening, (just kidding) The way TFP describes him thus.
    Yikes! Not sure I would want to be described like that. Why isn't he busy, someone might think.
    Just my take on what is a great and valuble addition to the Flooring Pro Site.
    SK.

5. Jim McClain

No, you're having flash-backs again SK. It doesn't say that at all.

Not even close.

Nope, uh uh. I checked. :shifty:

So, don't you guys forget to rate this article by clicking on the Rate drop-down up top. Pick the number of stars you think it deserves. Please don't let tileguytodd suffer the same kind of rejection that poor Jim McClain did on his article when everyone else gets a bunch of stars and he gets NONE. Maybe we don't care about him, but tileguytodd we want to come back once in a while. Maybe even do us another article sometime.

6. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Re: Discussion: SLC & Radiant Heat Flooring by Todd Groettum

Hmmm. You're right, TFP. My bad. Must have been a dream..:rolleyes:
    I gave him 4 stars; he's a mere 1/8" away from a perfect 5 stars:good:

7. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

Re: Discussion: SLC & Radiant Heat Flooring by Todd Groettum

Todd, you make all us Minnesotans look good:D Clear, concise and easy to read. Well done. :good:

8. Jerry LA Tile

Jerry LA Tile Charter Member

Wow! I thought I was right there installing the radiant floor with you. Thank you for breaking it down for a new guy;) I even saved this info in a word document for my future installs:)

9. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Well-Known Member

very good article todd , was thinking of installing this over a wood floor .. should i float 1/2 inch of cement on the wood first ? Never did one of these before ..

10. Bud Cline

Nick we should take YOUR QUESTION to another location for discussion maybe but first I'll ask: "What type of wood floor"? There are restrictions and some do's and don'ts when using SLC's.:)

11. Danny Ferguson

Danny Ferguson Abbey Carpet & Floor Charter Member

Nice wedding pic Todd. Are your eyes red from tears of joy, or from the reception party afterwards?:eek: I had a similar wedding pic, but it was tears of joy.:rolleyes: Nice article.

12. Tileguytodd

Tileguytodd Charter Member Published

Thanks to all for your kind comments regarding this article.
    Sorry I havent been in for awhile but time has been a precious commodity of late.

Nick, I have every confidence in Bud an I'm sure he has already helped you but feel free to email me if you feel any further insights would help.

Peter..........Hiya Neighbor!!

Jerry, thanks for your comments.............Does this mean I can call you my first Tile Groupie?? ;)

Bud.....Thank You my friend for that last email......It was quite helpful as a deciding factor................I wish I had more time to spend here with you but it is difficult as you know to do a good job on 1 let alone several forums.
    Remember though................I am only an Email away!!! :)

To Administration........I'm sorry the decision process took as long as it did but had you lived in my electronic world these last 6 months you would find a greater level of understanding.............Bud can be blamed for my final decision :D

13. Bud Cline

Todd the best way to free-up some additional time for a few of these forums is to do what I have done. Just get banned from a couple of those suckers and then you won't be tempted to go there.:)

I am banned (until December) from the DIY Forums for Moderator bashing. I have no idea what the hell makes those guys think that anything will change come December!!! Unless maybe their Moderators somehow grow a new brain.:)

I am banned from Holmes because he's an idiot wearing suspenders and his ADMIN doesn't know sick-'em from c'mere.:)

I am banned from TYW because, because, because, well because I was rude to a bitch that sent me an email calling a "little prick".:) She must know my wife.:):):)

I was never banned from FI but Steve has allowed a certain guy or two to run nuts over there so I don't go there anymore.:)

FCI and NFT are also hopeless places in the cyber world with a couple of sick-os being allowed to run-rampid so no need to go there either.:)

That's about it for now but I'm sure I'll manage to piss off somebody else somewhere and I'll be banned there also.:) It's for my own good and has probably saved my marriage.:cool:

14. Camille

Camille New Member

Ok, so my husband and I are DIY wannabes...that is we have a list a mile long of things we plan to do ourselves on our house, but have yet to really attack any of the big ones. At the top of the list is our kitchen floor.

Todd - let me just say that after weeks of research this article is the first I've seen to touch on all the aspects of what we need all in one place, so thank you for that!

We currently have a kitchen/small dining space that is currently ceramic tile/rug respectively. We found an amazing deal on some gorgeous marble tiles about 8 months ago and bought them for the whole space. We plan to rip up the existing tile and rug in this area (and disgusting linoleum we found underneath it while moving an island) all the way down to the plywood subfloor. The current tile is clearly not flat or level, which I know would be a big problem for marble. In all my reading, this is our basic plan:

1. make sure the joists aren't too far apart for structural soundness
    2. lay down cement board (would there ever be any reason for a new layer of ply first?)
    3. install radiant heat mats (we're looking at suntouch from HD)
    4. Use SLC over the mats to be sure the marble tile gets laid completely flat and level
    5. Install tile with white thinset and 1/8" joints
    6. seal tile to avoid scratching and grout with unsanded grout

So as you can imagine, your article is EXACTLY what I need to be sure we don't screw this one up. I only have a few questions after reading this article.

1. Do we actually need the cement board if we're going to use SLC over the mats?
    2. If so, would we need to fill and sand the seams/screws before priming?
    3. Forgive my ignorance, but this is the first I've read about Dam Blocks. Does this mean I will have a 1" gap between the SLC and doorways, and where it will meet the rug in the livingroom? And are these used in place of the foam strip for expansion or in addition to? I guess this step went right over my head.

:)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  15. Jim McClain

Hi Camille,

I happy you liked the article and I do hope the author responds to your comments. However, questions and issues concerning your own particular project might be best discussed in the Ceramic and Stone Q&A forum. We have a number of very qualified pros who will be anxious to assist you there, allowing this topic to be more for comments and questions about the article itself.

Thank you,

TFP Admin

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  16. Jim McClain

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  17. Re: Discussion: SLC & Radiant Heat Flooring

Todd,
    Your article is by far the best on the "net".

I've got a short list of related questions.

1. The way I read your article, you are putting on two coats of primer - one on the bare wood before you put down the heating element, and then again just before you pour the SLC.

2. Regarding the possible need to fill low spots after the SLC dries, what is a suitable compound to use.

3. Regarding the expansion spaces, how do I treat the edge of a tub. The whole room is only 30sq. ft. so there won't be a huge area involved. Getting a watertight seal along the tub is a bit of a worry.

FYI, I plan to use Ditra over the SLC.

Thanks for your assistance

18. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

TileguyTodd hasn't posted since Dec, 2007.

19. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

:eek:...:brick: welcome Jerry...:welcome:

20. Jim McClain

That's okay, he might have subscribed to this topic and come to reply when he is notified. But in any case, we have plenty of professionals here that can help with these questions.

Jim