Silica hazard

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Mike Antonetti, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Breathing silica is hazardous, minimize breathing in dust and make it a priority!

Read the full article here:

Silica Rule Changes Delayed While Workers Face Health Risks : Shots - Health News : NPR

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Mike Antonetti

I see this all the time, sometimes they will put t-shirt their wearing over their nose, that will let the finer particles in.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  3. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Floor guys can be affected by grinding concrete, mixing SLC, and other tasks raising concrete dust.

4. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

I used to use dust masks,with those rubber straps that would either pull your hair or break.I found a company out of california that makes shirts with built in dust masks.The shirts are called Dus-T's.If you find yourself in really dusty conditions you just wet the mask part and it captures more of the fine stuff,i love them and wear them all the time.I think they are worth the money and are much easier and convenient than a dust mask of any sorts. DUS-Tshirt.com...patented protection - DUS-T, Reusable Dust Mask Protection,

5. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

Have i told you how much i love these shirts?Lol. These Shirts are like the Turbo tools of shirts,Now if someone could just invent an installers shoe that lasts more than 3 months,i could probably increase production by about 5 minutes or so each week.

6. Bearman

Bearman Pro Member

I thought that's what buggers R 4 :D

7. Mike Antonetti

They are the indicator that says fool you shoulda worn a mask!

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

From what the tshirt website says, one short sleeve shirt is over $400 American! Ill stick with my respirator.

9. Mike Antonetti

I currently use the 3m 7502(medium) with the p100 filters. The 6000 series is a little less comfortable, I left the 7500 respirator at home after cleaning it, had a new package of the 6000 medium but was hurting so I removed it. Now looking for something even more comfortable, years ago I saw a silicone type one but it doesn’t pull up on searches. Would like even better filters but I think only air supplied is the only option.

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. tsb

tsb well dressed

You use a supplied air respirator? that's pretty hard core. We use 3m versaflo powered air respirators. don't have to worry about facial hair and fit tests. Only have to worry about farts. Like a super dutch oven.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 3