Shot blaster right tool?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Jonathan Garcia, May 17, 2019.

1. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

Hey guys, its been a while since I've posted here, been really busy (guess that's a good thing). Im really interested in possible buying a shot blaster, possibly the Blastrac 1-8dm, for getting floors ready for SLU/ Moisture control systems/ and even painting floors. I've never used one before and I'll probably rent one next week to test it out on my sisters porch and garage, its concrete and has paint on it, but it shows the cup wheel marks from the grinder on the porch. Its uneven has dips and hills, would shot blasting remove the latex paint and leave a smooth surface in the garage which has not been grinded? The Paint is latex meant for garages, its suppose to be 4mils thick each coat with a max of 2 coats. or is there a better way of removing the paint?

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Got a few shot blasters
    The 8” and the 15”
    From blastrac the 8” is 120 30 amp
    And the 15” is 230 3 phase 30 amp
    Been using the big one this week on about 3,290 sf after we did the edge work took about 5 hours to blast the floor.

They will remove paint but you really need a dust separating before the vacuum if not your filters will get messed up fast
    We use 220 size shot for epoxy paint floors like in a airplane hangar
    And 280-330 for quartz and trowel down floors

You do have to keep up on the maintenance of them and I keep about
    1,000 to 1,500 in extra parts just in case something breaks down
    Like blast wheels or liners or cables
    Filters for the vacuum

My little one I payed about 6,700 for it
    And the bigger one blaster and vacuum was a little over 33,000 total then about
    1,800 to 2,000 in number 8 power cord
    But I have about 300 lf for each

Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan Garcia

wow. Very nice setup. I have a Pulse bac 1250 with the bagger option. its 311 cfm, should be able to handle the 1-8dm from Blastrac right? a pre separator... any recommendations?

Also what shot size do you recommend for concrete that's going to be covered by latex based paint? product is called drylok concrete floor paint.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Yea that vacuum will work good with it
    On my little blaster we use the dust deputy setup on a 10 gallon snap ring bucket
    On the bigger blaster we run the
    Ermator C3000

5. Jonathan Garcia

how dustless is shot blasting?

6. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

There’s no dust it’s very clean on a few jobs we have done like hospital and stuff that’s all they will let us use

Just have to be careful of drains or really big dips cause the shot can come out at times and also wear safety glasses cause when that shot comes flying out it will hurt

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jonathan Garcia

awesome thx. would shot blasting remove carpet glue? 1 layer, 2 layers?

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Not good not to stay connected with TFP. You could lose lots of money, make big mistakes, become uninformed, and many other treacherous things.

I think you need some formal training in removal and floor prep. You’re picking equipment to use not knowing the fundamentals for choosing. I’m somewhat the same way, have some training on polishing but still a long way from fully grasping total knowledge of any situation, ability to conquer, and to efficiently provide the necessary result with sufficient profit.

I recently did a paint removal for someone that the paint failed for some reason, I believe maybe he cleaned it with water and didn’t allow it to dry. So, after removing the gentleman chose to use the same “paint” designed for garages. Well vehicle tires lifted “paint” and he requested receipt for my bill for warranty. I guess they give him a quart of paint? I’ve yet to conversate with him about it, last we texted I was suppose to go to meeting about keeping a toll road from going through our neighborhood, and failed flooring, thorns in the side I don’t believe people like to bring up.

So, swirl marks and issues with garages are on my radar. Before I forget I prefer stain, as I told the previous guy it is not a coating/film to some degree and doesn’t peel.

Shot blasters are designed to create a profile (CSP concrete surface profile)for a liquid to have a better grip than a flat plane.

I can’t check snowflakes to see if any two are alike cause I’m in Florida, but slabs are sorta in that category of no two the same and respond differently to various tooling. How hard is that slab, is it contaminated and causing bond failure? Grinding and shotblasting leave two different textures.

The vacuum is for the dust created, the shot bounces back into the supply side of the blaster, you don’t want to overpower the vacuum to suck up the steel shot.

Here’s what I shouldn’t see. Circular grinding ridges. Not sure of coating, and typical tire lifting of product.

Attached Files:

9. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

It will take up older dry carpet glue but if it’s tacky no it will not cause the shot will not bounce back off the floor.

To keep from getting cup wheel marks in you floor use not such aggressive wheel
    Or use a planetary grinder that’s what we use and only use the 7” or 4” just on the edge work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

On the bright side, ( my wife says such a concept exists, wacko!) you will have used a shotblaster and will learn some of its abilities for further jobs, it’s capacities and limitations. I was on a job the other day where the whole house did not have 220 connections, (natural gas) you would think it would be wired for an option of stove and dryer. So therefore I would have to pull panel and insert my own 220 wired breaker to outlet box. Something in which larger equipment users should be familiar with.

I need to repair my Shotblasters

11. Jonathan Garcia

Thx guys, this will be a training experiment for me. Which is why I'll be testing on my sisters garage. Their is a potential job in the future to remove paint and paint the latex paint, which is why I'm texting now. But that job has a tile pattern imprinted on the concrete (1'x1' size tiles) and it's very uneven, if I grind I would probably remove the stamped tile look to be able to remove all the old paint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Not me, I would get an electrician to do it.

13. Mike Antonetti

Yes, I agree till I’m trained and then I’m good.

Let us know how it goes Jonathan. I was told that there are issues with bonding to contaminated garage floors from motor oil leaks etc. but shotblasting provides a better bond. Not sure if sufficient enough to hold.

14. Jonathan Garcia

Ill be doing the test probably on Friday. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Also what shot size should I use for pant removal which will get new paint on it, latex based.

On a side note, i was looking at blastracs university, maybe i can get proper training on that. I did go to Texas last year for ardex training on underlayments and moisture mitigation, but was cancelled cuz i was going to be the only one in the class...

15. Mike Antonetti

That alone is something to boast about and show how the industry is inspired to learn. The Pennsylvania class had probably 20-25 in the class when I went. Probably way better training and tour as that’s their HQ.

I think National Flooring Equipment also has training on all their stuff.

The shot that comes to mind is 330 for a small machine.

16. tsb

tsb well dressed

Shot blasting will leave the floor too rough for a 4 mil coating. YMMV but I usually tell people you need AT LEAST 16-18 mils dry film thickness in a single lift to self level out over the blast lines (striping that is created by overlapping of the blaster). 4 mils is paper thin and will not hide anything, as you can tell from existing grinder marks

Grinders are much more versatile and user friendly for anything other than moisture mitigation systems. You have to shot blast for most of those. I'm hesitant to recommend mitigation systems that say grinding is acceptable, but there are some out there. Obviously thick film coatings require a greater concrete surface profile. Grinder manufacturers now have bush hammer attachments that will give a more aggressive profile, like a CSP of 4 to 5.

As was previously stated, shot blasting only removes thin film brittle coatings. Anything with any sort of elasticity to it typically does not blast off easily.

Mike, not entirely sure what issue you're having with the customer with the garage, but look up hot tire pickup. It's not the prep that's at fault if you ground the floor and he used a crap paint on it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike Antonetti

I saw the bushhammer attachments at World of Concrete for the Skanmaskin grinder, way too pricey.

18. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We had a job once where it was painted floors that we were going to install unitary backed carpet on. They shot blasted the latex paint off no problem. I don't think it would touch epoxy.

19. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

They will not remove epoxy but will give it a good finish so you a glue will stick to it
    Have done it a few times for different carpet places

20. Mike Antonetti

And it depends on the thickness. Not your epoxy Ron, but that cheap homeowner thin stuff it should remove.

• Like Like x 1