Sheet vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by JaneMore, Jul 13, 2019.

1. JaneMore

JaneMore Member

I am going to be installing a 1176 ft2 of .125” (3.2 mm) sheet vinyl in a basement on a concrete base. The brand is Tarkett series M8000. I have included a PDF of the specs.

I have a few questions and want to try and ask a few different pro's on there advise.

The old floor had carpet and had carpet tacks on the edges. I was able to cut out a number of the concrete nails but a few broke the concrete out and left little holes. Do these need to be patched ? There is also a hairline crack in the concrete should I also fill that ?

Do I need to lay any membrane/ vapour barrier down first ?

I have a lot of seams as the roll is only 12ft wide what would you recommend to seam it ? The manufacture recommends its own product but is there something better ?

Any recommended tools ? hook knife a roller for the seam ? any installer advise ?

Thank you for your advise and I hope to learn a lot from this install and forum

Attached Files:

2. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Full spread permanent installation!!
    Use their adhesive and be sure to get the sealer down into the seam per their instructions.
    Yes the holes should be filled as well as the cracks with Ardex Feather Finish, or Mapai Henry, etc equivalent fine powdered Portland patch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You are going to install 2300+ sq ft of vinyl and I'm thinking you have never done this before. You sure are a glutten for punishment, and a possible serious hit to the pocket book if it don't work out. I would seriously think about hiring a Pro and let him take on the worries and liability.
    One of the things you might look up is how to pattern scribe. Might save your bacon knowing how.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I want a 150 yard vinyl basement job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JaneMore

JaneMore Member

Thank you all for your votes of confidence :p

Could you let me know why your recommend the permanent installation is it because of the size of the job ? or that its just a better practice to follow ?

Only a few days ago I was reading about pattern scribe.I have some heavy rosin paper so was planning on using that. I have some Mapai Henry from another project so was getting ready to start prepping the floors this morning.

I picked up the 5 rolls yesterday they came a week early so caught me off guard, I still have quite a bit to prep still to do. The basement had a water leak from a failed french drain a number of weeks ago so making sure the pad is dry is going to be key on when I can start.

6. JaneMore

JaneMore Member

All prep done start laying this afternoon

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

What’s your plan glueing fullspread?

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

You can do it!