Sheet Vinyl over ceramic tile

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by 6arfan, Sep 17, 2015.

1. 6arfan

6arfan New Member

I was wondering what anybody would recommend for installing
    sheet vinyl over ceramic tile.

I could use actual products for filling in the grout lines and do
    I need to cover the tile as well.

2. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

No, and no.
    Tile is a pain the arse to get up, but if you install a floor on top of it, it flabbergasts the laws of nature, and within a short while, it will all come loose under your new floor...

Attached Files:

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Not the best way of doing things.

Is the tile adhered to slab/wood substrate well?

Also lippage of tile if any would need to be ramped to surrounding area. Some recommend to grind surface, it would help patch to bond. They probably recommend the appropriate primer to bond to tile.

Then when it's removal of vinyl time, just ends up bigger mess.

Small area? (Bathroom)

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

There is only one way to do it, and you're making a crap sandwich if you do, poor self leveler over it. That is a job for a pro, and the pro will shake his head and tell you to just tear out the tile. More time and money, but a way better investment...which means it's really less money in the end.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I got a call the other day for removal of ceramic and sheet vinyl on top.
    I've gotten several calls, no bites, maybe I'm too high? But really I find it quite relaxing thinking I didn't have to do the work.

6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

We seldom would consider doing that. The exceptions are certain facilities that cannot tolerate the noise or dust from the demolition. We would do these jobs with no warranty.

First you have to make sure the tile is down 100% solid by tapping around with a hammer. If there are hollow spots the need to come out and be filled back level with patch.

Then we would sand the surface with 12 grit paper on a floor buffer. Vacuum, damp mop and allow to dry. Then use Ardex P-82 primer and allow to dry.
    ARDEX Americas | ARDEX P 82

From there you will need to skimcoat/float with Ardex Feather Finish til you achieve a surface that is flat and as smooth as a wall surface that you wanted to paint or apply wallpaper. Any and all defects will telegraph through to the surface over time and be visible under certain lighting conditions.

It's only a little easier than demo, not much faster or cheaper. it is less noise and dust for sure. I recommend you remove the tile.

7. 6arfan

6arfan New Member

thanks for the imput, I sold demo tile instead over self leveler

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, demo the tile.