sheet vinyl or porcelain tile... or sheet vinyl?

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by Mary Carol, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Mary Carol

Mary Carol New Member

I have been reading postings in this forum for several days and happened on it through a Google search. Actually, several Google searches. I am trying to decide on the best type of floor to install. Currently I am down to cement in my living room due to some flooding a few weeks ago. At the time I replace this, I want to tear up old white ceramic tile in my kitchen and laundry room and replace it. Also need to replace laminate flooring in entrace way, hallway and my bedroom. I would like to replace all of this with the same flooring. Before the flood, I was going to do this at some point anyway because of a very expensive mistake I made about 5 years ago. I have a modest income and I want to make sure I do my own research and make the best decision possible so that I will not be throwing money down the drain. I spent $6000 for laminate flooring and installation by and through a local contractor. At the time, I was replacing carpet that had been ruined by repeated soiling and urination by my dogs. (I have seen many responses about proper training to prevent this and I would be very grateful to not get these here because there are numerous circumstances involved as to why they have accidents) I have two male dogs who compete and mark territory, one is a rescue that has submissive urination and the other is diabetic. So this problem is not likely to go away. The best I can do is choose the most urine resistant flooring available. And this is how I ended up here Google.

I have read many threads on sheet vinyl and porcelain tile. Have gone back and forth and am now leaning back towards sheet vinyl, primarily because of the expense of porcelain tile plus installation. I am going to use your directory to see if I can find an installer listed here.

Thanks for all the good info you all have made available over the years. It has been quite helpful to me!

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Moved your post to its own topic.

Let me apologize in advanced. Some people don't care if you've heard it before or have asked that they keep those pet-training comments to themselves. I think there will be some helpful advice in the replies to follow too. ;)

Jim

3. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

My personal opinion is that sheet goods with welded seams and coved perimeters would be the wiser choice. Porcelain tile can be installed with a stain proof urethane grout but the costs would be even higher.

4. Mary Carol

Mary Carol New Member

Thank you so much for your reccomendation! Now I even know what to say to say to the installers about welded seams and coved perimeters. Got some lingo to use to explain it right! Never heard of them but can tell they go the extra length to keep the urine from getting beneath the seams or inside the edges at the perimeter.

I have gone back and forth also considering whether the bigger investment of the porcelain tile, with the extras you mentioned or epoxy grout would be worth the investment when it comes to selling the house. I know I would have to be very neutral with this because to me, there are so many visually disturbing patterns and colors that just won't work with lots of things (like the ones with burnt orange) that it could also put off potential buyers.

I must say that there seems to be some sort of stigma attached to vinyl flooring, despite all of it's wonderful attributes. My son and his friends in the early 20's group keep pooh poohing my idea of sheet vinyl saying it looks cheap. Actually, I prefer the feel of vinyl under my bare feet to tile. Just also concerned about the resale value of my house. But I also think that sheet vinyl is far easier and less expensive for a home buyer to change and take up, then ceramic or porcelain tile.

So I just swing back and forth. But I think I will stick to the sheet vinyl for now. A high quality vinyl. Unless otherwise convinced that I should invest more in the tile for purposes of selling my home.

I appreciate your responses!

I don't see any installers in your directory from Fort Wayne, IN. They missed an opportunity with me :)

5. Bud Cline

With welded seams and coved wall-base (those seams also welded) then theoretically you could pool water in the entire room without issue. I wouldn't recommend anyone allow that to happen but you get the idea. It is still important to clean up any spills as quickly as possible.

6. Mary Carol

Mary Carol New Member

Got it. Thank you Bud. I guess that's what I needed when the water came into my living room through patio door until ankle deep a few weeks ago.:facepalm:

7. Bud Cline

ANKLE DEEP ?????

Hopefully that doesn't happen again anytime soon!!!

Keep in mind there are door areas and maybe you have floor vents that would/could allow water to get where you don't want it.

When I said "pool water" I was thinking occasional dog leakage, I wasn't thinking anything about water being ankle deep. Good Lord.:brick:

8. Mary Carol

Mary Carol New Member

LOL!!! Well, it's the first time it has happened in the 14 years I have lived in this home. Had over 10 inches of water in a very short time span. My vents are in the wall and luckily, I have a neighbor who came and pulled up all the laminate planks the next day. I do think I already saw and smelled mold in two small spots so glad we got it up quick! Perhaps urine seeping through could mold but wasn't thinking it could since it turns into some sort of really obnoxious ammonia. Funny we clean some floors with a product that smells just like pee that sits too long isn't it?!?!

I had seen the water on my back patio, near the door off living room, become a wading pool before and had thought of doing something several times, but always put it off since water never came in. Well, never put off until tomorrow what you can get done today, may have been a good saying to adhere to rather then my hopeful optimism. Now have the work being done to make a french drain around patio and back yard. Think I am going to wait to get floor laid until after that job is complete with all the mud coming in with dogs while this is being done. It will take another week or so since the neighbor who pulled up the floor also is doing this job and has another day job and does all kinds of handman jobs for all the neighbors around. Not having him lay the floor though. He said no to both sheet vinyl and porcelain tile. Was willing to put in vinyl planks but I am concerned about seams in that situation. May go back and review what was said in threads on this. I guess I would not want the floating kind since they are sensitive to temp changes. I ordered free samples of vinyl planking from Builders Direct, along with some porcelain tile. The vinyl planks were not 100% vinyl and had some kind of plaster or something else that was easily breakable on the back and was also used for the edges that lock the pieces together. Both of the samples I got had chips and little breaks out of those edges. I thought since it was vinyl planking, that's what it would be but also learned later through this forum that no all vinyl planking is 100% vinyl. This wasn't even 5%. That said, the porcelain tile samples from BD looked better then most I had looked at in big box stores. It was also much thicker which was then another concern because of all of those steps up going from my sunken living room. A lot of time and effort was taken by the contractor who installed the laminate floors to make all those steps look really nice and I want to leave them that way. The one going up to my kitchen had broken tile on top and underneath the metal strip. He had to pick his brain a bit he said to figure out how he was going to keep the ceramic in place, get rid of the broken pieces and finish the step up using the laminate and other wood. He really did a great job on that. I think, like many others, I just did not put enough emphasis on how many accidents could be expected from my animals. It is embarrassing to admit to but better to be honest then have $6000 down the drain five years later!! That's why I am here so I know better and can make a better informed decision this time!

9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

OK, not comments about the dog's behavior.

Just an experienced opinion that the kinds of vinyl that are attractive to a home owner and a future buyer are not really constructed for the level of abuse you're expecting. Retail-----residential flooring stores sell and install materials for homes. So you need to get around that mind set. Your home is more like a vet's office or a kennel as far as how the flooring is subjected to urine.

I install mostly heavy, commercial vinyl and rubber that would perform well but it's not really something you'd want in a home. They're TRYING to make products for nursing homes, hospitals, schools and such that are less institutional looking--------a homey feel. THAT's the kind of material you want to look into. Basically think COMMERCIAL gauge but find the product lines with wood, tile or concrete stain patterns that replicate the fashions one might expect in a home design.

I agree that you want the material coved 4-6" up the wall and you certainly will want heat welded seams.

All the major flooring manufacturers have COMMERCIAL lines you could find suitable materials within.

10. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

Stained concrete. There are some amazing artists out there.