shaw lifeguard question

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by sbooth21, Jul 17, 2017.

1. sbooth21

sbooth21 Active Member

Hey guys I am in the process of buying new carpet I am a fan of berber but due to snagging risks (kids dogs) I was going to get a frieze, BUT I was just told about a berber carpet from shaw (Have fun) with lifeguard. The way it was explained to me was that since it has commercial backing (lifeguard) that it will not snag and thus will not leave me with lines in my carpet should a dog nail get caught in it.

Is this god carpet? Or gimmick...

Have Fun is a residential berber carpet from Shaw Carpet. This carpet is made of Anso CrushResister Nylon and features a Lifetime Stain & Soil Resistance Warranty along with the other general Anso Warranties. This carpet also comes with LifeGuard. LifeGuard carpets feature patented, 100% thermoplastic commercial-grade backing that provides a moisture barrier that resists liquids from penetrating the backing.

Specifications
    Style Name: Have Fun
    Style Number: E0772
    Product Type: CARPET
    Size: 12.00 X 125.00
    Fiber/Brand: 100% Anso CrushResister BCF Nylon / PHILADELPHIA
    Pattern Repeat: 5/8"W X 3/4"L SM
    Face Weight: 048.8
    Thickness: 0.340
    Total Weight: 000.0
    Weight Density: 252150
    Density: 0005167
    Ply Twist: A/E
    Durability Rating: 4.00
    Gauge: 5/32
    FHA/MEA: 52838
    Stiches (Contract Only): 08.00
    Primary Backing (Contract Only): POLYPROPYLENE
    Secondary Backing (Contract Only): LIFEGUARD
    Special Features
    R2x
    Product Data - Flammability
    Pill Test: PASS
    Radiant Panel: 0
    Flamming Mode: 0
    Non Flamming Mode: 0
    Static
    Static: 0
    Type Static Control: TOPICAL
    Electric Resistance (NFPA99)
    Burroughs Method: N/A
    IBM Method: N/A
    FHA Data (UM44D)
    Type: 1&2
    Class: EVERT
    Features
    • LifeGuard
    • Made in America
    • Anso Nylon
    • Green Label Plus
    • Pet-Friendly

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It says right at the bottom pet friendly. I have berber and a dog also and she is active. Have had no problems in the 3 years I've had her. And mine isn't nylon.

:old:

Daris

3. sbooth21

sbooth21 Active Member

Bump, that didn't really address my question. I'm also looking at a tuftex piece called on point which is a sulolution dyed nylon 6,6 loop carpet.

I'm torn between the two. The Shaw have fun carpet is a loop carpet that warranties snags and runs which is huge, but I can't find much about this lifeguard backing. Then on the other hand I have the solution dyed superiasd nylon loop carpet that will be more stain resistant... help!

Here's the tuftex specs
    Style: ZZ012
    Fiber: 100% superia sd 6,6 Nylon
    Width: 12 ft
    Face Weight: 29.20 oz./sq.yd.
    Backing: Classicbac

4. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I can't really speak to snags, other than to say get that warranty in writing.

As far as Lifeguard - it's a great product. The idea of waterproof backing is that the stains can't get to the pad, which means you can clean it up easier. You also avoid stains wicking back up from the pad and into the carpet. It's great to live on, and even vacuuming it seems more effective because you're not having to clean as deep. I've noticed that the vacuum has a little harder time because it can't draw in as much air - usually you need to lift the head up a little higher. Anso nylon/R2X is a great product and it resists stains very well.

The 6,6 nylon is really top quality nylon. Nothing wrong with it at all.

I've found that within the industry no one really cares about spec lists, and I'd be hard pressed to tell you the face weight on any carpet I sell... largely because it's not really an even comparison. A 40oz nylon vs a 40oz smartstrand for example - two totally different feels. A 40oz loop vs a 40oz frieze - not an even comparison. It's more about the right fiber and construction for the environment you expect it to perform in. I usually stay away from loops when it comes to animals (my 65lb boxer does surprisingly little damage to my looped living room carpet though).

All that said, pick the one you like the best. Either of the ones you're looking at will be a quality piece.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sbooth21

sbooth21 Active Member

Thanks for the reply! So since both are loop style carpet would the faceweight matter in this instance? The 48oz on the lifeguard vs the 29 ounce on the tuftex solution dyed piece.

6. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

When you have carpets where all things are equal (same fiber - nylon, same construction - loop, etc) the higher faceweight means more yarn. I happen to like Lifeguard carpet, so if the price is acceptable and YOU like it, I'd favor the Lifeguard because of the backing.

7. sbooth21

sbooth21 Active Member

Yeah price is very similar between the two carpets. I really like both, Im favoring the lifeguard right now, I'm just worried about the durability of it. The 100% anso nylon berber we have now with r2x is about 4 years old, and it stains like crazy. It's almost as if it lost all stain protection. You can see the dark spot from where my dog lays on it at night (Oil im guessing?).

Are you an installer? You said that you like the lifeguard..

Thanks again for letting me pick your brain.