Shaw Anso carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by JM89, May 1, 2016.

1. JM89

JM89 New Member

Hi,
    I've been reading a lot about carpets and we've been wanting to change the carpet on our "open" stairs but don't know what type of carpet to use. Without knowing, we picked a Oefin carpet but after reading on the internet, the carpet we chose is not ideal for high traffic specially on stairs.

Now, we have set our decision on Shaw Anso "In a Flash": in a flash e0538 - canyon cove Carpet & Carpeting: Berber, Texture & more | Shaw Floors

Any thoughts about this carpet for open stairs and high traffic?
    Also, what type of underpad is recommended for this carpet? Foam or Rubber?

Appreciate your help. thx.

2. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Felt or fiber cushion for stairs is optimal. It increases the life of the carpet and provides firm footing for safety too.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

I agree with Nate, most shops won't suggest it but you can request that the pad on the steps be a thinner denser pad. It will dramatically increase the life of the carpet on your steps. Shaw's Anso nylon is nice, head and shoulders better than olefin.

4. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

You are on the right track with a nylon for longevity on a high traffic staircase although 24 oz. is a tad on the light side. I like to see at the very least a 28 oz. face weight for a loop pile.... As Nate suggested stay away from the softer pads and look to a thicker, more dense, (32 oz.) commercial felt padding for longer life...:cool: