Sharing Photos in a Post

Discussion in 'Forum & Member Account How-To's' started by Jim McClain, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

In this post, I am going to share just one photo. I'm going to use my file explorer or image editor to find the photo on my computer, then drag the photo and drop it in this message window.

genesee-road1605-005a-x1080.jpg

I was given the choice to show the image in the message as a Thumbnail, or a Full Image. I chose full because it's only a single photo. You can view it full-size by clicking on it. Click it again to close it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jim McClain

The problem I see with that method above is that it doesn't open gracefully and it's much more difficult to view. Depending on your browser size, you will have to scroll left and right, even up and down to view the whole photo.

That doesn't happen if you upload photos and choose Thumbnail. Here are 4 photos I dragged and dropped into the message editor. Click any one of them and you can view them all in a dark photo viewer. In the upper-right corner, you can view the picture full-size, or click the X and close the viewer.

chandler-rd-e1504-32-1080x.jpg smith-lake1607-02-1sm.jpg thompson-valley-ranch1705-23sm.jpg white-lake1506-06-1080x.jpg laporte-rd1409-03pscf.jpg portola1411-15pscf.jpg

Okay, so there's 6 instead of 4. I uploaded four the first time, then added 2 more. After the first upload, I clicked the first icon that said "Insert every image as a..." and chose Thumbnail. When I dragged and dropped the other 2 photos, I selected Thumbnail next to their mini-thumbnails at the end of the list of photos I uploaded. I can also choose to delete any or all of the photos, if I have made a mistake.

uploading-photos01.jpg

That last picture shows you what I see after uploading. All I have to do is look at the thumbnails to see what photos I've uploaded to this post. If I have a duplicate, I can delete one of them just like deleting a letter or a word in the editor. If I don't want the photo at all, then I can click delete next to it's tiny thumbnail. And I can type, then post photos, then type some more, post more photos - as often as I want. I get to choose where the photos go and how they look on the page.

But in the most simplistic manner, I can drag & drop photos in my post and do nothing more. Like in the next post.

3. Jim McClain

If I don't want to do anything except type a few sentences, if that, and post some pictures, it couldn't be easier than just dragging some pictures into the message editor and drop them. Then click Post Reply or Submit New Topic and I'm done. No worries about what to choose, Thumbnails or Full Image. I don't have to choose either.

Attached Files:

4. Jim McClain

Please feel free to post pictures yourself. Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

5. Jim McClain

As I explained above, you can "drag & drop" one or more photos into the message editor, but you can also select your photos from your file manager or image manager program on your PC or Apple computer. Just click the big red button labeled "Upload Photos or PDF" (yes, you can share PDFs this way too) and your default file/photo manager will open.

photo-posting-qe.jpg photo-posting-fe.jpg

Find your photos, select one or more of them, click the photos you want to share, then click Open.

photo-posting-select-files.jpg

At the bottom of the message editor, you'll see a list of the photos you have uploaded. You can insert photos the way I have in this post by placing your cursor where you want the photo(s) to appear (I hope you do this on a separate line), then click the red button labeled either Thumbnail or Full Image you see next to the photo you want to insert. Your image will appear where your cursor is.

photo-posting-insert-pics.jpg

Clicking Thumbnail instead of Full Image does not mean viewers won't be able to see your photos in all their full-size glory. It only means your pictures won't take up all the room on the screen. If you choose Thumbnail, then the reader can click any of the images to open it in a viewer that presents a full-screen image. In that viewer, you can also choose to open the image full-size in a separate window, if you want a closeup view of something.

When I post photos, I usually select Thumbnail when I have multiple images to share and Full Image when I have only one image to share. However, Full Image doesn't actually mean your large photo will appear full-size on the screen. If it is bigger than the boundaries of the forum box, the photo will be confined to the size of the forum message pane, but you can click the photo to see it full-size.

I haven't used my smartphone to upload photos - I very rarely use my phone for the Interweb - but I will try to show how to do that... but not today.

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have an Apple computor and it doesn't allow me to share photos to the upload device of the forum. I have to copy and paste. I have multiple photoes I'd like to share so how do I do that without having to make each one a post.

:old:

Daris

7. Jim McClain

Should be as I described above, Daris. Are you saying you can't drag one or more photos from your computer's image viewer/file manager into the message editor and drop them? You can't also click the red Upload Photos or PDF button and find the photo(s) you want, select them all or one at a time, then click Open to have them upload to the forum?

I don't use Apple/Mac anything but I'm sure other members do and have uploaded photos without trouble. I know it isn't the forum software because it would generate a huge amount of complaints from other forum owners on the software's support forum and I see none.

You have shared lots of photos before. What has changed? I know that you had trouble early on using the old forum software, but then you got it figured out.

8. Daris Mulkin

Mac!! I have to copy and paste on all the places I share pictures even FB. What i can't figure out is how to do multible on here and another forum or two. I don't really understand how the thumbnail things works as it shows up as an option after I have already posted the picture. remember my avatar is shooting the computer. You put it there for me.

Daris

9. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

What you want to do see.... if throw that thing In the garbage and get a pc. Mac is the devil which has been evidenced by the collusion between the corporation and hipster culture

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jim McClain

I remember. It's a bat though, not a gun. Hopefully one of our members who uses a Mac will chime in. From what I understand, Mac or PC is no different, just what the various features and apps used on the computer are called. Apparently the file manager on a Mac is called the Finder. The Ctrl (control) key is called the cmd (command) key and there's also a control key but it's different (???). The PC Alt key is the Option key on a Mac. It's all screwy like that.

First computer I ever used was a Apple Powerbook. Had it for 3 days, returned it and bought a desktop PC. Never looked back. Why are you using a Mac now after all that time with a PC?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daris Mulkin

Daughter aand granddaughter pressured me into it. Took some getting used to but actually I love it. I was taking my old PC in and getting it repaired/cleaned out what have you every couple months, I've had this now 3 years and no problems, just every now and then I run into something like this. I used to use the upload system on the site but it wouldn't let me. I may try it again.

Daris

12. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The wife has a Mac. I don’t like it but I love my iPhone. How does that work:hmmm:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

Up to 2 PCs, 3 Macs, an iPad and iPhone.

Last night I was watching a movie on my home theater PC, playing poker on my Air, semi working on an estimate on my ipad and my phone rang. For a split second I thought I might have a bit of a tech addiction but then the moment passed and I started fantasizing about one of the new 12.9" iPad Pros...

Back on topic... I just shift-selected these pics and drug them in to the editor on my Mac Air.

26195688_10103377489056948_2139979486847393381_n.jpg 26168255_10103377488982098_3955828668251355707_n.jpg 26165163_10103377489116828_1754690758600747596_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

You are simply confused man.... no biggie

15. Daris Mulkin

I'm not techy and haven't a clue on how to do that.

Daris

16. Jim McClain

Daris, one step at a time:
    1. Can you locate your photos with Finder?

Tell me what mouse you have (look on the bottom of it if you don't know).

17. Daris Mulkin

I have a cheapy mouse that I use and the wife has an Apple mouse.
    found the pictures in finder.

Daris

18. Jim McClain

:face:C'mon now, does it say "Cheapy Mouse" on the bottom? I'm tryin' ta help you out. It's as if a DIYer came here and said it's a cheapy adhesive and we say WHAT adhesive!

Step 2:
    At least you can find the photos in Finder. Can you select more than one photo at a time with your mouse and keyboard. On a PC you can select several in a row by clicking the first one, hold the shift key down and clicking the last one. You can also select several photos at a time by clicking the first one, then hold the Command key down and click any of the other photos you want one at a time.

Can you do all of that?

19. Daris Mulkin

Its a logitech mouse and it says m325 using a magnifying glass to read that and the rest I can't read even with the glass its so small.
    I'll give the other a shot in the morning.

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jim McClain

Okay, that's a pretty small mouse and it's been around a pretty long time. You like it?