Shaping pencil/listello around a gentle curve.

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Tscoffey, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Tscoffey

Tscoffey Member

I am considering doing a shower wall inlay of a basketweave pattern. I have seen where some shower tile jobs have a nice, gentle curve around the top of the inlay, using pencil/listellos. I am mathematically inclined, so I know both the angles and length for each portion of pencil - but I lack the skill (and a really good tile saw) to do this with confidence.
    Any advice on how this is most effectively achieved? Things I should avoid (even "Yes - don't try it" ). I will rent a better saw than the one I own (a $129 Ryobi) if necessary, since more precision in the angle is almost certainly demanded.
    My only idea so far is to cut a precise tile angler out of 1/4 wood that would sit against the saw guide, angling the pencil at the correct angle - which is why a better saw (with a more precise guide) is needed. The ryobi guide is only "fair" at being straight.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I will say that your project sounds pretty ambitious for a DIY'er. :)

Do you have any pictures you could post similar to what you're wanting to do? I have a pretty good idea, but sometimes a visual aid will help.

I think most of the work is going to be getting the angles right. After that, it's all about using the proper techniques and setting materials to get the best bond. Of course, don't rush it. Plan for plenty of time, and you'll be more likely to get the desired result.

3. Tscoffey

Tscoffey Member

This idea, but nearly as tall or wide. I am shooting for about 20" wide, and 51-57 inches tall. The idea is that it frames the shower handle and faucet/spray, with an arch around the spray.

Attached Files:

4. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Yeah, just cut the pieces short enough to make the curve, shouldn't be a problem at all.

How you set them depends on the shape of the pieces and the substrate.