Several questions about specific LVP installation

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by nevets, Dec 15, 2017.

1. nevets

nevets Member

Hi! This is my first post and I have several questions about glue down installation. My son and I are rehabbing a portion of an old church in Fulton, NY into two 3-bedroom apartments, about 1,800 and 1,300 square feet. We're doing this on a shoestring, as funds permit, so cost-cutting is a major consideration. We're going for a "respectable" job in a depressed town, and not necessarily first class.

I purchased enough LVT to do the whole job at about .30 a square foot. It's wood-grained commercial plank that was surplus to Walmart and comes in boxes marked "Flooringworks Solutions" It's 3mm 7 x 48" plank with 35' to the carton. I believe they use it in their stores. Does anyone know what this stuff is (maufacturer and product line) and what the wear layer is?

The church subfloor is 7/8" T&G pine and is a bit creaky, wonky and uneven. We're replacing several rotted out sections (old roof leak) with 3/4" strand board type subflooring shimmed up at the joist to to match the height of the T&G. Most of the rooms have only the T&G subfloor with nothing above it. Just stained and varnished. Two rooms on the second floor have old asbestos tiles over that which are tight and in good condition. The structure has a full basement which we're not touching right now.

Our plan is to:

1. Snug down all the T&G to the joists with 1.5" staples;

2. Go over everything with 3/4" plywood to stiffen everything up. Here's a wrinkle. We can't afford 3,100 feet of ACX from a big box store. There's a place where we can get 40" x 42" recycled cargo crate sheets. I've seen a whole lot of them and there's not a void to be seen on any edge. I contacted a US maker of the crates and they tell me they use ACX when they manufacture them. Most of the sheets I saw were sanded on at least one side and all were smooth, some with streaks but no knots on the face ply. We were thinking of using these. They'd be stored dry, indoors in the empty church sanctuary for about 4 month prior to use.

3. We'd install them with 1.5" long 1/4" crown staples in the recommended pattern which I guess will involved significantly more edge stapling, and we'll avoid stapling to the joists (actually the staples too short to penetrate into the joists anyway). The sheets would be lightly edge butted with no filler at the seams. The staples would be driven below the surface to allow for light sanding. They depressions would not be filled.

4. We'd run a small drum sander with 120 grit lightly over the installed underlayment with some attention to the seams.

5. After vacuuming we'd lay with Kardean K-91 adhesive and roll.

Would the plan work?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I don’t think the size of the sheets are a concern. They may lay more flat than an 8’ sheet. I don’t like staples, just me.

3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

That's not what Walmart uses. It could be something they tested at some point in the past, but Walmart uses a product from Adore Floors and has for several years.

With regards to the installation you're going to perform, you're not giving yourself any room for error so there is no way to tell for sure. You're putting a somewhat unknown product over a questionable underlayment / subfloor that's being used to shore up a questionable existing subfloor. So, really at the end of the day, it's what your willing to accept that will determine if you're successful or not. If you don't mind some squeaks and soft spots, maybe some gaps and telegraphing then it's probably going to be ok. If all that stuff bothers you or your tenant then you're probably going to have to make some changes in what you're doing.

4. nevets

nevets Member

That's good to hear abot the size. We were leaning toward staples because I already have a staple gun.

5. nevets

nevets Member

Thanks CFR, I think this stuff may be about 8-10 years old. So basically, what I'm getting is that there's nothing glaringly wrong with the plan of attack, just that the result may not be up to professional standards.

6. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Yep!

Based on your first post, I think you already know it won't be perfect, but you've got to do what you've got to do within your budget.

That makes a bit more sense with the date possible date of the material.

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would be concerned about the cargo crate sheeting for a couple reasons.
    1. Is it uniform in thickness?
    2. Has it been outdoors, has it been rained on?
    Only you know what level of risk you are willing to accept!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sometimes those crates are treated so you need to watch that.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I agree Ken, it may be treated with pesticide to a level exceeding max level of indoor air quality.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nevets

nevets Member

Thanks all. I'll be checking out the concerns you raised with the supplier. I hadn't though of any of them!

11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

To mitigate the risks of failure with the substandard subfloor you would be advised to scab over that mess with some substandard "luaan" underlayment. Just get the cheap 1/8" stuff you can cut with a utility knife and staple it down over that $&%$#^&& you're working with and it's going to be worth the time and money in the long run.

12. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

:hmmm:Are you suggesting they install another crappy product over a little bit questionable and crappier product?

13. nevets

nevets Member

I thought luaun wasn't used anymore because of voids and such? Anyway, I did find out that the plywood isn't treated with pesticides because only solid wood shipping crates need that under the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC). Also identified the LVP I bought as Adore Decoria commercial plank with a 22mil "micro-ceramic" wear layer with a 25-year commercial, unlimited residential, warranty--so we done good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yeah. I've used tons of luann on both residential and commercial projects back when it was better constructed and generally accepted in the industry. I realize it's no longer approved and far inferior these days but I think it would be a substantial improvement over NOT using it and worth the extra time and effort in this instance.