Self levleling Prep

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by EddieHaskell, May 9, 2019.

1. EddieHaskell

EddieHaskell Active Member

Laminate Over slab on grade concrete. Since it's a laminate floating floor I'm installing, would I need to grind off paint overspray and add a bonding agent prior to using self leveling as I would with tile or glue down. I am just filling in an area that is not flat, since it's a filler, doers a solid bond really matter?

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

The materials you put down are only hold up if you do good preparation
    I’ve seen lots of good products being demoed up because of bad preparations

I think at times I spend more time doing the prep then laying the floor at times

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

YES

Sand/grind/sweep/vacuum and primer for any and all self leveling projects regardless of the flooring selection. That type of floor prep requires a CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN slab + the glue (primer) to get a solid bond or it will all set up independent of the slab. You'll have a big, loose chunk of patch overtop the slab which will have a hollow sound and fairly quickly crack up and disintegrate under modest traffic.

It would probably be OK if no one ever walked on the floor. (G)

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Just use patch instead. Still shouldn’t go over overspray or catch all floor but it doesn’t react like self leveler.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

How much area are you filling with self leveler?

6. EddieHaskell

The room is 10'4" x 11'8.5"
    Just checked with my 10 foot aluminum straight edge. . In side to side direction it's not more than about 1/8+ off. When I check it the long way it's just over 1/4" gap, just out of spec. On one end of the room, app 1.5 feet from the wall the long way is high, by 1/4 inch.
    So if I add self leveling for based on the straight edge placed the long way, it will be too high side to side in the middle
    I assume,, I need to take down the one high side and re-check it, May not need any leveling.
    It's hard to figure it out, any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

7. Mike Antonetti

You are correct. It’s a 3 dimension terrain. You can play whack a mole, if it’s that one end high I would grind it down. Not easy , cheap etc. flooring equipment till these days everyone added material (patch)instead of taking it away.

• Like Like x 1
  8. EddieHaskell

9. Mike Antonetti

I’ve heard decent results with DD, I’d get a large rigid vac with the drywall dust bag so it doesn’t clog the pleated filter.

I had one of these back in the day. Got tired of replacing bags, you have to set them in properly otherwise they can tear. I duct taped the neck, opened the bottom to simulate it filled with dust, it still tore sometimes. Then to Bosch but their design was silly with shakers. So fed up I went to Pulsebac, still issues but when it works I can grind for 8 hours.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

16 Gal. 6.5-Peak HP Wet/Dry Vacuum

RIDGID 16 Gal. 6.5-Peak HP Wet/Dry Vacuum-WD1851 - The Home Depot

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  10. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Yea I got a few DD they work really good I got the metal ones for holding up for our work.

I hooked ours to a 7 gallon metal bucket with a snap ring and put a garbage bag in it so just remove the top fold over the bag and toss it away

11. Incognito

You don't need or want to use "self" leveling flooring patch. Just get a bag or three of something equivalent to Ardex Feather Finish (as if)

Depends on where you are as to what's available but there's half a dozen other brands that will suffice.......................the biggest differences in these floor patch products are in EASE OF USE........."installer friendly" as far as mixing, spreading, troweling and how well they bond to your substrate. If you were using a floorcovering with an adhesive it would be even more important to use Feather Finish because NO floor patch bonds as well to the various adhesives we use.
    Laminate prep is easy money in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. EddieHaskell

Thanks guys,
    Waiting to get the equipment ordered, then I will grind the high area and re-read the surface.. will look into Ardex.. I have used self leveling before, it is expensive and is not really self leveling, found that out the hard way. Now I know how to move it around and thin the edges.
    From what I've read with Ardex feather edge you don't need a bonding agent and it can be applied up to 1/4", adding additional 1/4" once dry. For future reference, what to use if you need more depth??

• Like Like x 1
  13. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

You could probably cheat a little on the depth with ardex. I think Webcrete 98 can go 1/2”, also bonds to pretty much anything

14. Mike Antonetti

Sorry but there is no limit to thickness of Ardex feather finish. They want you to use as much as possible.

15. Incognito

16. EddieHaskell

17. Mike Antonetti

I see Walmart pop up on stuff I google as well. You shouldn’t pay more than 20$ a bag at a flooring supply house, just pull up in an old beat up van say, sup homey I’m fast Eddy, fly by night, be in Baltimore next week know what sayin.

When FF first came out in 95? I think the techs told us 1”, went to that Ardex Academy and they said nope, much thicker, cost causes shift to cheaper more economical products in the Ardex lineup.

18. EddieHaskell

I guess the walmart is the snorting type of powder

19. Mike Antonetti

I see whacked out prices on eBay as well. Same tools range hundreds of dollars in difference.

20. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I like the Uzin products for patching and they do have good self levelers also.