self-leveler over patch, and vice versa, OK?

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by oneway, Jul 13, 2018.

1. oneway

oneway Member

Are there any issues putting a layer of self-leveler over a layer of patch, or vice versa? What about patch, then self-leveler, then patch on top of that?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

If bonded properly, some leveler wants substrate to have a surface profile of around 3 so smooth doesn’t bond as well. Self leveler needs to be primed for it to flow,cure properly, that the water is not robbed from the patch.

They could expand and contract at different rates just like ceramic tile and slab, so if it’s thick or larger areas then I would consider calling tech services.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I put patch over leveller all the time, there is typically nothing wrong with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Some levelers when you don’t prime they will shrink slightly and lift up off the substrate. Overwatering, fans, large airflow also affects its result, cracking.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The self leveler should be your last deal. I don't see any problem going over patch if you prime it before the self leveler.

6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

How worried I would be layering underlayment material depends on what's going on top.

One size does not fit all.