Searching for a Ramp

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Quest, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Quest

Quest Pro Member

Searching for a Ramp solution for a small user to load and unload his National 5700 onto his enclosed trailer that does not have a drop down feature.

2. Quest

Quest Pro Member

This was actually how I Found TFP :)

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

And now you, or anyone else reading this, might find the ramp solution you mentioned. :D

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I bought this cargo trailer with ramp and barn doors. Then I had a welder reinforce it with tube steel. The ramp is also on hinge pins where I can disconnect ramp and load a pallet with forklift.

Attached Files:

5. Quest

Quest Pro Member

The supports are in the perfect spot for that machine, I have had some guys use that expanded metal on their ramps but it never seems to last, great for grinders and other machines but with only a center support, they tend to collapse. Thank you I will show him this solution.

6. Mike Antonetti

Your exactly right. I've used a pallet jack for a load of vct, too much downward pressure in center dented center. Should have cross supports. Also it is not turned in proper direction for grip going up ramp.

This aluminum ramp is what I have as well(8')The 4K capacity. I think inside rail is 28" and 1/2" clearance on each side. Also used to put inside doorways with some steps. The pin would have to stay in place while going up, otherwise it's a serious hazard.

Movers Supply House - Dollies, Handtrucks, Furniture Pads, Moving Vans, Casters, Truck Hardware

Attached Files:

7. Mike Antonetti

I get it, you're Quest Building Products! I've looked at your site for years about used equipment, even told some in the industry about your company.

I always go up ramp backward with swivel wheels toward bottom. Sort of like pendulum. I tried going uphill forward but swivel wheels will start to veer sideways,too dangerous. I now have locking swivel wheels when I only want to go straight, like going through doorways,lining straight up ramp, going down sidewalks. Lot of tricky situations no one thinks about, just looks easy.

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I just got the ramp ends at the box store and you put them on a 2x12. I need to get longer ones,4' is too short.

9. Mike Antonetti

I agree, 4' too steep, 8' for heavier equipment, my side ramp is 6' it's got pins I drilled in to trailer and usually load the vacuums sometimes full, so 250lbs. Got it mainly to avoid stepping up, the knees don't want to deal with that 50 times a day.

10. Quest

Quest Pro Member

Those are perfect. It's a fairly common issue and I think that may be the solution, 5000 lb rating will cover all of the ride on scrapers we deal with... Thanks a ton

11. Quest

Quest Pro Member

Yes, that is me (us) and thank you for visiting and referring. Also totally agree on backing, there can be some hairy situation sitting on top of those in precarious ramp/truck combos. Have never tried locking front caster wheels but sometimes switch from loading with or without casters depending on the trailer or vehicle being loaded. Whenever possible we load with the forklift, however always want to make sure that getting it off on location will be possible as well.

12. Mike Antonetti

I think the ramp came from California but I used distributor out of NY. May have taken two weeks to receive, but well worth the cost for what it accomplishes.

Yup, level trailer means a lot as well, I've said oh it doesn't need to be level, then when the scraper wants to go through side of trailer you begin to realize the importance.

I have 5/16" 4x10 steel plate on deck, it wanted to go through the 3/4" ply spaced 24" on center. I don't like the extra weight, but was easiest fix. Long while ago I discussed with a distributor of ride on flooring scrapers about a trailer designed specifically for ride ones, not much assistance, but if trailer has ramp door I think it needs serious fortification, just too much concentrated weight.
    Safe travels!

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

If you are interested in becoming a sponsor here on TFP, I have reasonable ad rates. An advertisement for equipment rentals just expired after more than 2 years, so there would be no conflicts. And with your diversification, you could run several different rotating ads in the same spot for the same price to help minimize ad blindness. Our traffic is focused on floors and much of it is at the pro level, so it would be a great fit. Contact me via PM if you'd like to discuss it. My apologies for the threadjack.

14. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

15. Mike Antonetti

Thanks Ken, I have seen their equipment before, looked a little behind times like Edco. Didn't know they make trailers but they understand need. The front nose design of trailer looks like the front ramps but doesn't state so. I think they call them snowmobile ramps. Sometimes that would come in handy for parking situations, parallel parking along sidewalks etc.