Seam sealing a poly vapor barrier

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Lo Down, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

What kind of tape to use? Duct tape is everywhere, but a tape made specifically for sealing polyethelene sheeting is a totally different animal.
    Man, this stuff seems like overkill................ however Lo likes overkill.
    ............but not this extreme.
    Preservation Sealing Tape
    I'm figuring if a laminate floor can last 20 + years, so should a vapor barrier and the tape used to seal the seams in it.

What's the proper kind of tape to use for this?

2. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Ouch, that price is stinky...I use red plastic Stucco tape. Not the red duct tape they're callin stucco, but smooth plastic. It sticks great to poly and cost is same as duct....:cool:

3. Lo Down

What kind of place do ya find that at?

4. cproader

HD has it here, or any mason joint......:yesss:

5. Lo Down

Our masons have joints, :blink: I'll check in there and see how hick this town really is.

Any reason you use the red tape, or is that just the only color they make it in?

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

if you want a tape that is incredibly strong/sticky, try the foil backed duct tape from Nashua. That stuff is intense.

7. Lo Down

I have a roll of some foil tape, I'm just looking for the "correct" kind of tape for plastic sheeting. Lots of tapes are sticky, but what adhesive on them is good for long term and long term compatibility for sealing polyethylene sheeting? ........I guess that's my real question.

8. Lo Down

Well, the masonry joint had no clue what I was describing. No "box" stores other than Wally World.
    A local lumber yard had something tho.
    Pro-Build had a tape made by Intertape called Red Sheathing Tape 1.88 inches wide and 54.6 yards long. It's description says "contractor grade" and that it adheres to polyethylene plastic sheeting.
    Listed here on page 12 as Sheathing tape.

http://www.intertapepolymer.com/IPGLiterature/Building%20and%20Construction/BuildingConstructionBrochure.pdf

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  9. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

10. Lo Down

Not sure if this Tyvek rating is good or bad compared to the Intertape.

The tape adheres to Tyvek better than it does poly sheeting.

Attached Files:

11. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

This may seem overkill but it is a serious question, have you thought about trying to weld it? Like overlap it about an inch and melt it to itself?

12. cproader

Its a 3M product, and its called stucco tape. Every mason around here uses it constantly.

13. Lo Down

At 6 mil, I think I'd need a custom made seal-a-meal welder. :blink:

Naw, not that overkill, but guys here use pad tape or duct tape............whatever they have available.
    I just want to use something intended for longevity on poly sheeting.

Unless your masons move here, we will never know about it.

I took the product I found out of it's protective wrapper to see how sticky it is................ pretty good adhesive.:yesss:

I put that roll of red tape in a plastic grocery bag this mornin and took it to work.
    Late this afternoon I tried to remove the tape from the thin plastic grocery bag.............. the bag was stuck to the sides of the roll of tape so hard that the bag tore when I tried to pull the tape out of it.

I think this stuff will work fine. :cool:

14. Todd

Todd New Member

Hi, I've done a lot of research and tape designed specifically for sealing a poly vapor barrier is called Sheathing Tape. It is commonly called Tuck Tape but it's official name is Tuck Contractors Sheathing Tape. This specific brand is from Canada. There is also IPG which is made in the USA ( Intertape Polymer Group). Both of these tapes are red - semi transparent tape that have black printing on them. I know this is an old topic - but I just found it in doing my research - so I'm posting in case someone else finds it looking for the best tape to use for vapor barriers. I've now confirmed this sheathing tape information from insulation manufacturers, vapor barrier manufacturers and contractors.