Sad Farewell to Nike, My Dog

Discussion in 'In Memoriam' started by Paul L, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Paul L

Paul L Pro Member

We just had to endure the horrible sutuation of having a pet euthanased.
    Our dog 'Nike' ...as in 'just do it'.... had to be put to sleep yesterday.
    He had developed a very aggressive form of Lymphoma and was deteriorating very quickly.
    Nike was 13 years old.
    We rescued him from an abusive home when he was 2.
    A Border Coliie crossed with a King Charles spaniel, he had all the cunning of a border collie and the loveable gentle nature of a spaniel.
    I'm not ashamed to admit that this hardass Kiwi man openly wept at Nikes departure.
    He will be missed immensely.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Sorry for your loss Paul. You grow close to your pets. You can definitely see the King Charles in him.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sorry for the loss of a dear friend Paul.
    I had to take a friend on Monday to have his dog put down. I watched it happen and it was very peaceful for his dog. Man if that is the way to go I want it to be like that for me. Got a shot and 6 seconds later it was over, the dog just went to sleep.

Daris

4. Paul L

Paul L Pro Member

That's exactly how it was for Nike.
    He was ready to go, we could tell.
    The vet came to our home so Nike passed away in his own comfortable surroundings.
    It does say a lot for the euthanasia arguement.
    I too would like to be able to choose that if I had an illness like what Nike had which is incurable and would mean a painfull, uncomfortable death.

5. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

I read your post and looked immediately over at Tuck, our 100 lb. yellow lab/chow mix. His brown eyes just begged, "Take me for a walk, Dad." I thought about you, and your dog, the whole way to the park and back. I hope he brought you the joy that mine has brought me. I am so sorry for your loss.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Paul, I'm sorry to hear about this. I know all too well the sadness of losing a pet. I've lost too many over the years and it doesn't get easier. Hope you don't mind me moving the topic to a more fitting forum - and well deserved, I'm sure. I know that most of my dogs were "work" dogs and went on many a job with me. Never had a customer object, but then, the dog always stayed with the van. So I'm going to assume Nike was also a work dog and I consider that part of the flooring professional family.

7. Canuck

Canuck Pro Member

I know your loss and feel your pain, but the joy Nike's companionship brought you will be in your thoughts long after your pain has subsided. I am not ashamed to say that the best friend I have ever had was an english bulldog named Daisy. Putting her down was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but it was also one of the most unselfish acts I've performed. It's been close to a year now, but tears still came to my eyes as I read your post and remembered my old friend. They are gone but never forgotten.

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Dogs Welcome

Here is a email I got yesterday:

"Dogs Welcome"
    A man wrote a letter to a small hotel in a
    Midwest town he planned to visit on his
    Vacation. He wrote: "I would very much like To bring my dog with me. He is well-groomed And very well behaved. Would you be willing to permit me to keep him in my room at night?"

An immediate reply came from the hotel
    Owner, who wrote: SIR: "I've been operating this hotel for many years. In all that time, I've never had a dog steal towels, bedclothes, silverware or pictures off the walls. I've never had to evict a dog in the middle of the night for being drunk and disorderly. And I've never
    had a dog run out on a hotel bill. Yes, indeed, your dog is welcome at my hotel. And, if your Dog will vouch for you, you're welcome to stay here, too."

Daris

9. Paul L

Paul L Pro Member

Thanks.
    I thought about posting it here to begin with, but wasn't sure if it was appropriate.
    Thanks for the support, it's freakin difficult for sure.
    So many little reminders of the Nikester everywhere I look.
    I know we did the right thing by him, and I know he would be gratefull that we didn't let him suffer.

10. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

Paul, sorry to hear about Nike and sorry for your loss. In late January of this year we learned that my dog friend Sukee had Lymphoma. As with Nike, it was advanced and fast moving and by mid March I had to let her go. :( She was eight years old and left too soon.

I can empathize with your struggle and the tremendous void their departure leaves. One thing I have come to appreciate is; love has no end. Yes our beloved companion and friend is absent but all they taught us lives on if we choose to pay it forward. For me, I am paying it forward with my new dog friend Frank.

Frank has some pretty big paws to fill and can never replace Sukee, nor would I want him too. But if dogs teach us anything, they teach us how to live in the moment. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is tomorrow. Today is all we have and wouldn't it be a shame to waste the talents of such a good ball thrower and poop picker upper. I mean hey, Nike and Sukee invested all that time and patience in training us, right?

Hey, seriously, I am truly sorry for your loss and I hope that when the time comes to consider opening yourself up to another forever friend, I hope you consider it favorably and keep the love moving forward.

Sincerely,

Dobby

Question: Why were the pictures removed?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I feel for your loss as we have had dogs for 40 some years. I too had to put my lab of 14 years down last fall and my pointer of 15 years down this spring. The older I get, the harder it gets. Like its been said, I could see it in their eyes that it was time. We are dogless now and its been odd because we have always had a dog but alot going on this year and its been fine. Although my 17 year old wants another lab.

12. Paul L

Paul L Pro Member

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, it helps a lot.
    My eyes a wet reading through all the posts.
    My wife and I are off to the Gold Coast in Australia for the week next week for out anual Carpet One NZ conference.
    Neither of us are really in the mood for it, but hey, maybe it will help.
    The timing is just really lousy, as the vet told us that Nike would likely become very very ill while we were away, hence the decision to end his pain on Friday.
    Again, thanks heaps guys, your support is awesome.

13. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Rest in Peace Nike and thanks for rescuing Paul 11 years ago.

Mike

14. Paul L

Paul L Pro Member

A quick update:
    Nike has been back home for a week or so now.
    His ashes are in an awesome little box with his name and a photo on it.
    I can say hello to him every morning.....and I do....

15. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Tia and Tommy lost their Riley today. My condolences to them both.